Snakehead river monsters

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
The only thing I don't like about the show is that almost many times he pretends he didn't know about the fish he was profiling.

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
I think he pretends he doesn't know because it's a lot more entertaining for the viewers that way. The show wouldn't be as interesting for many people if Jeremy Wade just sat there and talked about a fish. The journey he takes to learn about the fish is what interests most people. I mean, he could just go to Africa and catch something but instead, he first spends time with the people of the Congo and learns what they have to say. And he certainly does have a passion for fish. I thought he was going to cry when the Goliath Tiger he caught died. :(

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
I'm confused as to why viewers think he is trying to make these fish out to be more vicious than they really are.. I love this show and have watched all the episodes back to back. The piranha scene was to show how exaggerated their aggression is. He was making a point that you could go swimming with piranha without them tearing up your flesh. In the snake-head episode, he never once stated that these fish come out of the water and eat your children. In fact, he was trying to disprove this myth. He said that despite what Hollywood has said, Snake-heads are certainly not the man eating fish people thought. The whole premise of the show is this: He hears about some fish related deaths, he reads or talks to people about local myths and legends about the fish, he investigates, he catches the fish, and then the show almost always ends with him saying either "Although a monster of a size, this fish is really just a gentle giant" or "Although a brute predator in the wild, only in extreme circumstances would this fish cause harm to a human."

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
Oh and the snake-head problem was definitely not caused by aquarists. If you want an invasive species to blame on irresponsible hobbyists, you can talk about the fact that Pacu have been found in 19 states.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store