so tell me, what's the appeal?

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Because you guys never passed the boring stage!

You have to grow the fish up till adult or getting the adult use to being with normal light and people (it might take a long time). Then they will act like little Oscar, little MBU puffer and etc that will swim around the tank and goes to you! :)

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
I also wondered why they were so popular so I bought one. It was the the most boring fish I've ever owned. All it did was sit in the corner.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
if you compare it to a chaca chaca, a datnoid is not that boring afterall! :p

Remeber! Datnoids are ambush predator! They are not like those african tiger fish that swim everywhere looking for food!

So it's normal for them to sit in a corner!

Take this for comparison, if your a passive person, it will take a VERY VERY VERY long time to transform you into an outgoing person (if that's ever possible).

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
They are dumb, boring and lame....I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
not at all!

Keeping a datnoid in normal lighting is like keeping an arowana in a dim lit tank with a lot of people walking by.

Does that make the arowana a dumb boring lame fish at all? Cause it will freak out and bang on the glass till blood comes out! :eek:

Datnoids take a very long time to adjust their surrounding, and most people can't coup up with their slow adaptation where they can get instant satisfaction from fish like cichlids, and other bold species.

:)

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
No appeal anymore, I tried 3 indos and an NGT and not for a short time, I actually gave them a chance. Either they were not stable ,wouldn't eat pellets or killed other fish in the tank. Lost a few fish before I realized that there was no appeal there for me. I like harmony in the tank and fish that aren't stubborn to eat all kinds of food so I sold them all. You couldn't even give me an ST for free as all I would do is turn around and sell it to make a buck. This appeal thing doesn't just happen with dats but with lots of fish because people don't tell the entire story about their prized fish so seems like everybody has to try a fish at least once to see for themselves if they like it or not. Just wished it didn't cost so much to try out all these different kinds of fish to just see yourself turn around and sell them because they didn't work out or didn't live up to the false hype people give them!!

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Quite a few datnoids for sale in the marketplace so maybe the appeal thing is going away.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Their shape and color is what made me get them now after having them is the way they work as a team to get fry from the other fish in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ninjabadger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Henlow, UK
For me it's colour and shape, I love how she follows me when she's hungry and the acrobatics from laying on her side to chasing pellets as they fall or the occasional treat shrimps which she will usually get the lions share of being the fastest fish in the tank.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I've never seen the appeal either to be honest. I did get one from a friend at one point and my opinion didn't change. To each his own. I like plenty of fish than many scoff at.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
No appeal anymore, I tried 3 indos and an NGT and not for a short time, I actually gave them a chance. Either they were not stable ,wouldn't eat pellets or killed other fish in the tank. Lost a few fish before I realized that there was no appeal there for me. I like harmony in the tank and fish that aren't stubborn to eat all kinds of food so I sold them all. You couldn't even give me an ST for free as all I would do is turn around and sell it to make a buck. This appeal thing doesn't just happen with dats but with lots of fish because people don't tell the entire story about their prized fish so seems like everybody has to try a fish at least once to see for themselves if they like it or not. Just wished it didn't cost so much to try out all these different kinds of fish to just see yourself turn around and sell them because they didn't work out or didn't live up to the false hype people give them!!
Even ST can be as bad as Indo without going stable at all in its life time! Patience is a virtue! xD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store