so tell me, what's the appeal?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
You can never take my Datnoids from me. I'm up to 15 and always looking. They live a long time and you have to view them as you would a dog sort of. Yes they grow slow, but if well taken care of, they can be somewhat of long term companions as they live 15+ years. You can't say that about too many other species of fish that we are able to keep comfortably in captivity.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Strollo its about time you joined in on some of the dat talk that's been going on.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
This has been a question of mine for a longgggggggggg time. Dats seem drab, but I see so many with bad ass cichla, why????

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
This has been a question of mine for a longgggggggggg time. Dats seem drab, but I see so many with bad ass cichla, why????

Datnoids are like community predators. They're pretty calm and chill for the most part until you piss them off or put food in front of them. They have that sort of lion/king of the tank mentality. I've also noticed that they can inherit sort of a pack mentality. My 16" Tem will pick on the smallest Dat(10"), but then you'll see the other 3 (12-17") come over and the Tem just kind of swims away. Pretty cool to me.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've had mine for 3 days now and 1 of them is always out and about while the other hides half the day but towards late afternoon comes out and explores the rest of the day. I'm still trying to see what all the hype's about but at least I got lucky with mine not hiding all day. Mine are also with extreme active fish, 4 convicts 5 mahseer's and 4 clown loaches, so I think seeing them out all day and night got them to adjust faster.

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Reasons why I keep dats:
1) they grow slow and don't require 300g+ tanks.
2) their color (stripes)/contrast/body shape (juvies tend to be unstable and shy, but adults are more stable and patrolling through the tank).
3) challenging to raise but worth it.
4) the way they attack (their mouths!)
5) they are community safe (beside maybe the NGT)

And 6) it's an Asian thing. Native fish from my country.

Don't tell me the dat in the pic doesn't look badass. Thanks James for the pic!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409071042.735951.jpg

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Yeah I like dats but if I don't find some soon that don't sit in a corner all day and will only eat food if dropped on their noses I may just loose my appeal to them... I don't mind if they are stable or not I just want them to be active. I like the looks the big mouths the beady eyes and the curiousness but I hate that I have a 180 with an NTT and a silver dat and all they do is hide in each upper corner never moving more than a few inches making the tank look empty. I wonder if I added in two extra circulation pumps pointed at each end if that would get them going or if it will only make it worse. Everything about them is awesome except for this corner hide thing that really is starting to piss me off and make me loose interest who knows maybe I will retain my real interest or maybe I will just throw in the towel and make my tank look like a fish tank and not just a water box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Invest the extra money and buy a larger dat. Pumps won't do much.

skyliner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Indonesia
For me, I like the stripes. And I like seeing them dashing and chasing the small fries. It's pretty cool. And seeing them gulping the frog....it's priceless. :)

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
To me, like others have said, their appeal is definitely their stripes, awesome tiger pigment colors, predatory behaviors and attitudes, body shape and their potential maximum sizes. My new 2 inch indonesian datnoid that is currently in my quarantine tank for about a month now is beginning to show more gold/yellow coloration than white as of late, and is growing a little more stable and comfortable, so I'm for sure not losing my appeal to dats anytime soon..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store