so tell me, what's the appeal?

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Honestly, the excitement originated from the Chinese. The so called Feng Shui aspect of the aquarium and it won't change your luck too!

Dragon ~ Arowana
Tiger ~ Datnoid
Phoenix ~ Flagtail

And then it got hyped up by people and prices went sky rocketing! Just like the L24, L25, L64 (jet black and looks like a common pleco), L600, they are boring fish too!!!! :p

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
the way they work as a team to get fry from the other fish in the tank.
That's a new one to me that I'd like to see.
For me it's colour and shape, I love how she follows me when she's hungry and the acrobatics from laying on her side to chasing pellets as they fall or the occasional treat shrimps which she will usually get the lions share of being the fastest fish in the tank.
Yeah,that and the zig zag movements some of them do as they zero in on a food item is a nice spectacle....Fishes33 you are doing a fine job of pointing out some of the attractive things about our fish here.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
krichardson We tried for weeks to get a video but not luck they only do it when the moonlights are on and my phone sucks at low little stuff

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
For me the appeal was the appearance. I was set on getting myself a nice stable Dat. And honestly now that I have one. I could care less if he is stable or not. Yes he's stunning when stable but his personality is amazing. He has these large puppy dog eyes and he is always begging for food. I don't know if this is strange but he hides when I'm not in the room but when I walk up to the tank he comes right out and eyeballs me. Also the feeding is a sight to watch. I accidentally threw in a piece of shrimp that I thought was way too big for him and he sucked it up before it even hit the bottom. I was in awe.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yeah I like dats but if I don't find some soon that don't sit in a corner all day and will only eat food if dropped on their noses I may just loose my appeal to them... I don't mind if they are stable or not I just want them to be active. I like the looks the big mouths the beady eyes and the curiousness but I hate that I have a 180 with an NTT and a silver dat and all they do is hide in each upper corner never moving more than a few inches making the tank look empty. I wonder if I added in two extra circulation pumps pointed at each end if that would get them going or if it will only make it worse. Everything about them is awesome except for this corner hide thing that really is starting to piss me off and make me loose interest who knows maybe I will retain my real interest or maybe I will just throw in the towel and make my tank look like a fish tank and not just a water box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
I had a single dat along with aros, flagtail and other fishes and all it did was hide in corner until feeding time. It would grab its meal and hide again. That all changed with I added 3 more, now it comes out and mingles with the others and its the smallest of all of them. Once they get used to surroundings and parameters are optimum, my experiences is they become stable and brighten up.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know the most accurate conditions found in their wild habitat? I think it would be cool to recreate it as accurately as possible in the aquarium and see if that makes a difference. Although I have a bad feeling the fresh waters around indonesia and such are pretty dark and murkey, not great for viewing in an aquarium....

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well said! :D

But a lot of people gave up before reaching to this point! ^^"
I'm trying to stick it out... how long does this process take...months...years....decades!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
For me the appeal was the appearance. I was set on getting myself a nice stable Dat. And honestly now that I have one. I could care less if he is stable or not. Yes he's stunning when stable but his personality is amazing. He has these large puppy dog eyes and he is always begging for food. I don't know if this is strange but he hides when I'm not in the room but when I walk up to the tank he comes right out and eyeballs me. Also the feeding is a sight to watch. I accidentally threw in a piece of shrimp that I thought was way too big for him and he sucked it up before it even hit the bottom. I was in awe.
Awesome! That right there is what it's all about with these fish no matter the size. You obviously have your tankmates right and decor setup to his liking

The people that got "bored" of datnoids probably failed at growing them..I would guess

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store