So what do you guys think?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I forgot to add that when I first put my fimbriated moray in my 55g reef, the tank did fine, but as it grew, the nitrates were harder to control and my corals started dying so now that tank only has shrooms and a leather, which I need to move to the reef as well now cuz it aint doin so hot, and the tank is basically a fowlr now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I, personally, consider all eels reef safe just simply because they won't harm corals, but they will eat any fish and ornamental inverts they can catch. The only thing is that they put out so much waste that the only corals that can really survive are mushrooms, zoas and xenias because they can handle dirtier water and, don't quote me on this, but I've read some articles that state that they actually need dirtier water to survive. Not all of them of course. I do know that xenias work like plants and actually absorb nitrates to grow.

Thats pretty interesting actually, maybe thats why my pulsing xenia aren't doing so great. Im running a 65 gallon skimmer on my 20 gallon tank and I do frequent water changes, so my water is pristine.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Thats pretty interesting actually, maybe thats why my pulsing xenia aren't doing so great. Im running a 65 gallon skimmer on my 20 gallon tank and I do frequent water changes, so my water is pristine.
Your water is probably TOO clean! Haha I still haven't seen an sps dominated reef that had a thriving Xenia colony yet. I don't know if its because they have a hard time keeping them alive with such clean water or if they are worried about them taking over their tanks. I have seen xenia's, not the pulsing kind, in mixed reefs with sps, lps and softies but yet to see any kind in a reef where the primary corals are sps.

vikash345678

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Queens New York
I'm guessing they're small then and the amount of live rock and wc's are keeping the nitrates low. My tank is becoming impossible to keep the nitrates low with just my fimbriated moray now that he's grown to almost 2ft.

Yup I know what I'm doing most teenagers my age will geta tank and instantly add a million things to it like my parents and they didn't listen to me

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Your water is probably TOO clean! Haha I still haven't seen an sps dominated reef that had a thriving Xenia colony yet. I don't know if its because they have a hard time keeping them alive with such clean water or if they are worried about them taking over their tanks. I have seen xenia's, not the pulsing kind, in mixed reefs with sps, lps and softies but yet to see any kind in a reef where the primary corals are sps.

Haha yeah, I've read that sometimes its just pretty much a shoot and a miss for some people and other people have great luck, some people will have it in more then one of there tanks and it does good in one tank and it doesn't do good in the other. They seem like they'd be an easy coral to care for as well.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Yup I know what I'm doing most teenagers my age will geta tank and instantly add a million things to it like my parents and they didn't listen to me

Actually is looks like your taking everything relatively slow which is a good thing, you did set up your tank in march right? Most people your age will put tons of fish and coral in within the first month.

vikash345678

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2013
Queens New York
Actually is looks like your taking everything relatively slow which is a good thing, you did set up your tank in march right? Most people your age will put tons of fish and coral in within the first month.

Yup did everything right tons of research over 5 months worth I know a lot about fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store