Something is wrong with my flower

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Flower is much more sensative than other rays such as Motoro. Even if you have prasaite problem in the tank, Motoro may not suffer as much and as fast as Flowers. Food may have caused the problem, so the fact he is long time in captivity won't help. Also, it may be related to some new fish brought from the outside.
I would try using metro and prazi and look for change, also increase water change.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
1. Food caused the problem possibly. i had some smelt that was let to completely unthaw overnight and re-froze it. i fed it to this tank only. I did not see a problem as it was still cold in the morning.

2. stress..... there were 7 rays in this tank however the flower was the largest and most aggressive of all of them. 4 of the rays were under 7" and 2 were 9-10".
I have never seen anything pick on him, if anything i saw him do the picking. Maybe he was stressed from having to many rays crawling on him.
3. IME flowers do not like temps under 76 and my water was around 76-78 and then warmed to 84 in a couple of days, maybe that caused it
4. parasites?? seems weird to appear this long after captivity, he was quarantined for a couple months with 2 doses of prazi.
5. possibly for a ph drop, but i am dripping pretty heavy for a 210 gallon, however it was WELL stocked.

On a good note, i fed pellets this morning and he looked to have eaten some, and seems to be more active now. i think now that i moved 2 of the rays from this tank he is acting better.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
My flower and tiger rays aren't as active unless I'm 82 or above. Good to hear that it seems to be doing better.
Mine can go from being very aggressive to very stressed if another ray starts to breed or show some dominance.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I seem to have terrible luck with my ray communities compared to others. Too many and it all goes to hell. If you look at my tanks I have them wayyy less populated then most people, and I still see signs that it's too crowded. 4 rays all under 7" in a 4x3 footprint and they still pester eachother to the point where intervention will happen. I have had many many issues with rays and after several years it seems I keep getting closer to a happy balance, UNTIL I add or even remove a ray then it starts over again.

Hope you get it figured out..... Maybe it'll pass in no time if some have been moved out.

Maybe he's just throwing a fit to see if you'll give him some more room.....

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
skynoch;5125454; said:
My flower and tiger rays aren't as active unless I'm 82 or above. Good to hear that it seems to be doing better.
Mine can go from being very aggressive to very stressed if another ray starts to breed or show some dominance.
Now that you said it my male hystrix is mature for a while... He is tiny but he has been more aggressive lately but never seen him mess with the flower.
DB junkie;5125594; said:
I seem to have terrible luck with my ray communities compared to others. Too many and it all goes to hell. If you look at my tanks I have them wayyy less populated then most people, and I still see signs that it's too crowded. 4 rays all under 7" in a 4x3 footprint and they still pester eachother to the point where intervention will happen. I have had many many issues with rays and after several years it seems I keep getting closer to a happy balance, UNTIL I add or even remove a ray then it starts over again.
Hope you get it figured out..... Maybe it'll pass in no time if some have been moved out.
Maybe he's just throwing a fit to see if you'll give him some more room.....
I hope so too. Like I said I think I was pushing the limits!

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Good to hear about the improvement.
I heard of a theory about parasites - they exist all the time, but the immunity system fights them and keeps them under control. If there is stress (like after long travel, worng PH, temp?....) the system is in worse shape and could not fight the parasire so they florish.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
keepinfish;5125128; said:
1. Food caused the problem possibly. i had some smelt that was let to completely unthaw overnight and re-froze it. i fed it to this tank only. I did not see a problem as it was still cold in the morning.

2. stress..... there were 7 rays in this tank however the flower was the largest and most aggressive of all of them. 4 of the rays were under 7" and 2 were 9-10".
I have never seen anything pick on him, if anything i saw him do the picking. Maybe he was stressed from having to many rays crawling on him.
3. IME flowers do not like temps under 76 and my water was around 76-78 and then warmed to 84 in a couple of days, maybe that caused it
4. parasites?? seems weird to appear this long after captivity, he was quarantined for a couple months with 2 doses of prazi.
5. possibly for a ph drop, but i am dripping pretty heavy for a 210 gallon, however it was WELL stocked.

On a good note, i fed pellets this morning and he looked to have eaten some, and seems to be more active now. i think now that i moved 2 of the rays from this tank he is acting better.
Hope he gets better. I think #2 above may be the root.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store