South Africa-Restricted Species

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
That list is way too old... I've seen some of those species avaliable, so I don't think anyone can take much of that list seriously anymore.

sailing_derrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2007
South Africa
SalmonAfrica;2266640; said:
That list is way too old... I've seen some of those species avaliable, so I don't think anyone can take much of that list seriously anymore.
The List is there for import purposes i.e. you are not allowed to import those species although it still happens, stricktly speacking apple snails are illegal to import but they still come in which i'm happy about. I'm not looking forward to when someone get a bee in his bonnet and kickes up a fuss. On a lighter note it is not illegal to own those species or at least that is what my sources tell me.

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
I dunno.... a LOT of our fish come from overseas sources, and if people were following this list, then there would be some fuss.

Apparently all freshwater crustaceans and amphibians are banned, but I've seen Dwarf and Clawed Frogs (I'm sure the Dwarves are from overseas), some shrimp, and some fish as well.

I think I'm going to try get into contact with the government and get an updated list. If applicable. :D

SaltyCrak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
earth
Forgive me if i missed it, but are you guys allowed to keep channa's (snakehead) over there? I don't see them on the list.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
SaltyCrak;3164839; said:
Forgive me if i missed it, but are you guys allowed to keep channa's (snakehead) over there? I don't see them on the list.
Edit: Oboy...You missed this.

Ophicephalus Africanus African Snakehead
Ophicephalus Channa Snakehead

JaxsBr

Candiru
MFK Member
May 19, 2009
South Africa
I went to my lfs asking for some shrimp,and the guy told that they are against the law.So I got to thinking,were am I going to find a river or a stream.go catch some wild ones.
Also Ive been to difrent provinces and could'nt find any fs that could get me arowanas or even knew what they are.

kog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
NZ
Freeze_Dried_Bloodworm;2037366; said:
That list is worse than going to school but I do understand why it's that long lol

SA is beautiful!
Yea, lets keep it that way. Restriction is neccessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store