South Africa-Restricted Species

alexpie001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
south africa
i dont understand why though, pretty much all of the species mentioned there would not survive in the wild here in cape town as the water is wayyyyy to cold, even in mid summer

Ko7Ad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2011
South Africa
"Serranochromis Robustus Newbwe" blacklisted?? They are native to Southern Africa and i know of a few dams with them in.. im going to get myself a fingerling there ;)

Worm4882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
South Africa
Yes the list is very old and i do agree it is a good thing, however. . . it only helps if the goverment is actually enforcing it. . .i mean South Africa is amazing but we have bigger problems to take care of. There are so many of those fish and plants on the list, that are sold as everyday fish in ALL of the petshops here in Cape Town. I mean i have even bought to Channa (snakeheads) from one of the petshops. So the list is there, but its nothing really to worry about as for now as it is not enforced strictly. As long as you not caught selling the different species or transporting them, you are safe. :) From what i understand

Good_Times

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
South-Africa
List is really ridiculous:screwy:.

I mean there is Carp all over South Africa, that competes directly and indirectly with some of our indigenous species, they also eat eggs and muddy clear water with their feeding habits. The same goes for Bass & Trout that eat smaller and juvenile species.The Clanwilliam Redfin is a threatend vulnerable fish that is being eaten by Smallmouth Bass & the same goes for the Fiery redfin. Bass also competes with Largemouth Yellowfish for food in the Vaal.

There are numerous other species like : European Perch; Tench; Grass Carp; Mosquito Fish; Israeli Tilapia; Bluegill... the list goes on. Yet nobody is doing anything about that matter. I've even heard there's a law that now gives Carp the right to live in South Africa. Compare this to places like Australia & New Zealand where carp may not be returned to the water.

The species on the list is predominantly tropical and requires warm water year round, which for almost all of South Africa is not possible due to cold winters.
It's really ridiculous. They should rather focus there efforts on the current invasives and only ban the fish that pose a real legitimate threat to some of the ecosystems.

LostAcc

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
To OP ... I have seen shrimp for sale before, at one LFS in the Southern Suburbs ;)

mmm, says nothing about Peacock Bass, but I was told that we aren't allowed to keep/import them

LostAcc

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
There was someone from SA on this site that wanted to release his pacu, hence the need for the list. All it takes are 2 with the same idea.
Those PACU wouldn't last more than a few minutes in our natural rivers anyway.
That said, it's not cool to limit the many, based of the mistakes of a few.

Personally, I still know people who claim they can get in almost any kind of fish.
To me, the list just gives way to less control, rather than increased control of the specific species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store