South Florida fishing!

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
really surprised you didn't catch alot of mayans too.. the gators along 41 are like stray cats, they are everywhere and try to get your fish when hooked. they call it alligator alley for a reason. LOL

chelsea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2012
New Jersey
Very cool I've always wanted to catch wild tropical fish and if an alligator got that close to me I would A. Shoot it B. Call up the gator boys

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

The alligators are amazing! They didn't seem to care that we were there.. They were definitely curious but were not as intimidating as I had imagined, not even as large as I had imagined. We were happy to have caught ANYTHING to be honest, pretty much everything went wrong while we were there. First off our flight down there got cancelled and they couldn't give us a flight til the next day and it was at night too from a completely different airport so we lost about a day and a half. We mailed rods down there in a bazuka and ended up renting a toyota yaris hatchback which was great on gas but hardly enough space for 6 (yes 6) rods. We stayed up in Jupiter with his grandparents but we knew we wanted to go further south to try to fish for exotic species. The first day we went to the everglades it poured the ENTIRE time we were there but hey we went all the way to Florida so figured we had to go for it. It actually was really awesome because there were hardly any people there and the whole place was kinda eerie because it was so cloudy. In that first picture up there with the alligator there were at least 10 alligators surrounding us. That gar in the picture up there ended up being eaten by an alligator also.. I tried to take a picture of it as quick as I could without destroying my phone from the pouring rain and then ran across the street to grab pliers from the car. While I was at the car I heard my boyfriend yelling and ran back and he had put the gar back in the water for a moment just so it wasn't out for too long and an alligator came up from the bottom and broke it's mouth in half and swam off with it. We saved the other half of the mouth as it was still hooked haha. I also hooked an alligator accidentally, he went for the bobber then oops! He got hooked. Another day we were there we tried to go to Lake O and rent a boat.. Ended up being 20mph wind so we couldn't rent a boat. Fished a nearby canal somebody at a bait shop told us about to no avail. REAL disappointing, before we went down to Florida we thought at least if we can't catch any exotic species we'll be able to catch a huge largemouth. I actually caught the tiniest largemouth I've ever caught in the Everglades of all places and my boyfriend didn't catch a single one. We took another trip down to the Everglades and it was 60 degrees that day. I couldn't believe how "cold" it was!!!! We had shiners left over from the previous day that were still alive in an aerated bucket and we picked up some more at the gas station on 41.. Rented bikes which was great at first but on the way back we were riding straight into 15 mph wind. Absolutely terrible. By the time we started fishing we checked on the bait and it had all mysteriously died. Every single fish. Anyways... sorry for the long story here's some more photos from my DSLR for fun... The night pictures are crappy because they were taken in a rush because it was completely dark and there was an alligator thrashing around nearby haha

By the way, going fishing in Florida without ANY knowledge of spots or anything is incredibly daunting. There is water absolutely everywhere and every spot looks like a "good" spot.

DSC_0055.JPGDSC_0057.JPGDSC_0100.JPGDSC_0109.JPGDSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
next trip you make PM me and i'll send you to afew spots where you can catch all the fun stuff.. :)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Oooh the envy!!

ArshadOscar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
Mauritius
Im so jealous of you guys to have so fish in your local rivers and ponds, here in my country there only tilapia and common carp :(

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
The first oscar in that pic looks like the one i have lol. Lumpyfish19 would know what im talking about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store