St datnoids

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I hope he doesn't get them. These fish need stay in the wild and Thailand needs to open the dam and let them breed. How ever few are left.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Agreed. I remember when I bought my first two. A little under 10 years ago. Paid $50 each wish I still had those. Unfortunately I have a feeling that saving a species of fish in Thailand is not on the high priority list.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Amazing how the prices have skyrocketed in under ten years...I have mixed feelings on any that may be left in the wild...Is it better to leave them there to eventually be fished into extinction or collect them for the hobby and hope that the breeding puzzle will someday be solved....

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
If Thailand opened the dam, there wouldn't be an issue. Right now, the ones that are left in the wild, which is less than 10% of the original population, cannot swim to another part of the river. This makes them easy to be caught since they remain in a relatively small area. If they can swim out, they can potentially breed and repopulate. Of course, this mean Thailand has to care, which they don't. I believe there is a way to breed to them, but it becomes increasingly harder when you can't sex them. You would obviously need a decent amount of money, knowledge and a significant body of water.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's sad the powers that be in Thailand seem to be behind the preservation of quite a few of their native fish but not the pulcher.I'm on the outside looking in of course and there just might be pulcher programs ongoing.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I had posted a link where there supposedly was. But how can we know? They may just say that to appease the public. With all the native fish swimming around, I don't understand why they would want to over fish and eat such a beautiful fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've always heard that the datnoid is probably the tastiest of all the fish there and they command a high price at the markets....doesn't leave much time to stop and appreciate the fish's beauty.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I guess on the outside looking in, it seems dumb. But to them, it's just another fish. If half of them only knew what they're worth.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I guess on the outside looking in, it seems dumb. But to them, it's just another fish. If half of them only knew what they're worth.
Wasnt there a recent vid of dats breeding with eggs on a ceramic dish? why the issue with breeding them?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
While I'm sure it's possible, Jay, the first problem is that we don't know how to tell male from female. That video did appear to be 2 ST's, but were they eggs? Were they actually fertile? I never saw a second video showing little fry swimming around so it's still speculation. Given the time and money, I suppose one could experiment with different types of hormones but who has ST's to spare to run tests on?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
While I'm sure it's possible, Jay, the first problem is that we don't know how to tell male from female. That video did appear to be 2 ST's, but were they eggs? Were they actually fertile? I never saw a second video showing little fry swimming around so it's still speculation. Given the time and money, I suppose one could experiment with different types of hormones but who has ST's to spare to run tests on?
They were eggs and the fish were displaying typical protective stances as all other perches do.. We breed lot's of fish that are not sexually dimorphic, and lot's of perch types. If they are a standard substrate spawner as it appears in that vid it should be fairly simple if you can get a compatible pair. The only issue since it is really a brackish fish would be if there is a migration to salt or planktonic stage. That being said there are few instance of multiple ST's co habitating to allow nature to take its course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store