St datnoids

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I feel like if it was that easy, it would have been done and well documented. Still no documented case of breeding in captivity. But it all points to the biggest problem, who has at least 5 of them? And yes, I do believe the migrate to brackish waters to breed and in the wild they are being blocked by the Dam Thailand built.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
In a breeding project, you could just strip the fish of eggs and milk, as they do with other endangered fish like sturgeon or salmon. But the countries where these fish live actuallly care about the fish....

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Really? How many people reading this thread can afford a fish that is over $1000? Not me! Sure he would sell a few, but quickly? I doubt it.
If he really can get true ST's who's traits can't be mistaken for any other type of tiger, i think they might go quick for a very high price. I'm not gonna put a value on them, because the market will decide of course. I'm going with the thought that they would be small (under 5inch), the way they used to be exported, which prob means they're young and have much promise to grow huge. And i'm also going with the thought that he will be 1 of very few in the world that have them for sale so shipping them beyond MFK members might fetch him more $$. Shipping is difficult, but with the right type of crate within the bag, it can be done without problems..For a sidenote on the subject, i remember my importer out in Cali back in the mid to late 90's told me of nightmare stories how he would get whole shipments (40 or 50 at a time) would show up dead on occasion because of poor shipping materials. (makes me sick each time i think of it)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
To get back to the original topic, if I had the tank space presently I'd pay 2500+ for one in a heartbeat, if it was good quality, large, and healthy. I'm sure I'm not alone in this respect. This fish simply doesn't exist anymore, and it's a dream to have one.

The fact that they apparently haven't been bred is like, the main thing that makes me want to have a midlife crisis, drop my career, and devote myself to a cause.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
My understanding is that if you wanted one now, it would run you about $3500. A lot of people won't pay that and like I said. I hope they don't.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In a breeding project, you could just strip the fish of eggs and milk, as they do with other endangered fish like sturgeon or salmon. But the countries where these fish live actuallly care about the fish....
Sounds easy enough hunh?...I wonder if the fish that the supplier has are newly caught or not...maybe the vendor can share this information?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm going with the thought that they would be small (under 5inch), the way they used to be exported, which prob means they're young and have much promise to grow huge.
Well he already said that the fish are large sized,ten inches and over....Horrible story of your importer losing so many of them in one shot though...that could been a breeding colony.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
My understanding is that if you wanted one now, it would run you about $3500. A lot of people won't pay that and like I said. I hope they don't.
If I thought there was a way to get them breeding I'd pay that for one that was of age. I'm honestly skeptical of these being recently WC.

fattiger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Where the Amazon meets the Mekong
I feel like if it was that easy, it would have been done and well documented. Still no documented case of breeding in captivity. But it all points to the biggest problem, who has at least 5 of them? And yes, I do believe the migrate to brackish waters to breed and in the wild they are being blocked by the Dam Thailand built.
I know a guy locally who had 12 true ST from back then and sold a few to his friends but he still keeps 8 of them in a big tank. No breeding occurred of coz. So, yes, I believe there are plenty of people who still have multiples of ST in the world and so I can rule out # in a tank as the only gating factor.

Lovethemfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2012
Maryland
Like that I told strollo22 I'm not going to import any st unless there are a higher population growth.
The las few pcs of st was just sold to china few days ago.

To be honest I highly doubt there will be much of these to be available in the future.

I can still get ct datnoids but cost are high for them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store