Still Don't Understand FX5 Mania?

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Yeah i did the same thing actually... Took off the motor cleaned it out with a tooth pick and put some vaseline on the impeller or whatever you call it.. And i still have noise. But i also keep my level at the top so it doesnt splash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
fx5 is just to expensive
with 50 bucks you could just make a diy
heres mine
[video=youtube;N01idS3FOrw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01idS3FOrw[/video]
Nice! I had one of those but i didn't use it. Looks to have great flow.

ska_kid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2012
Mars
Nice! I had one of those but i didn't use it. Looks to have great flow.

why not
its ok i could make the water come out x2 faster but im ok for now
just waiting to upgrade my tank 800 +gph lol

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
I have 2 fx5's that I bought pretty cheap online, and not because they are trendy but they are great mechanical filters. I pair each of mine with an eheim classic 2260 on each 180 gallon tank. The fx5 does a great job polishing the water and removing the floating bits and the eheim handles bio. They do a fine job and I've never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

surfpalmsncycads

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2010
whittier ca
on the 150 in my living room i have 2 ac110s both double sponge. and 2 fluval 405s pure ceramic and matrix. i have under 200. invested in that filtration and i know it does a way better job than an fx5. the only thing bad that i can think of is i prob use more electricity. im not sure how many watts the fx5 uses.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have one (that I got as part of used a set-up I bought) that I use to run water to a dump filter (sump on top of my tank). It moves some water but I clean it (rinse the foam media) about every two weeks to remove all of the built up stuff.

My issue with FX5 is my issue with just about all canisters: compared to sumps and even air-driven box filters, they're a PITA to clean....and (unless you're using a pre-filter) they're likely not cleaned frequently enough to prevent becoming filthy.

Also, compared to a sump or dump, there's a relatively small volume in an FX5....which is why I added the dump (an 18g rubbermaid with a tray of fluff and bioballs, scrubbies, poret, etc.) to my FX5 outflow.

I can change a fishroom full of box filters in the time it takes to clean one FX5... I can't imagine having to clean like 5 of them as regularly as they should be cleaned!

Matt

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have one and am kind of neutral about it. I now have it on a 240 along with a sump. I am not even sure if it is doing me much good, I had it so I use it. I only have the sponges and trays of ceramic so it isn't getting clogged. I have about 5 ft head, so I don't think my flow is all that great. When I have my hand in front of the output hose it isn't that great. My fish certainly don't hang in the output flow like my 2 sump returns or powerheads for entertainment.
I don't know that I would own one if I hadn't gotten it so cheap used on CL, $120 loaded. There is several threads on here about how to modify them to do more which makes me think there are a number of people that think it isn't as good as it should / could be.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
I have one and am kind of neutral about it. I now have it on a 240 along with a sump. I am not even sure if it is doing me much good, I had it so I use it. I only have the sponges and trays of ceramic so it isn't getting clogged. I have about 5 ft head, so I don't think my flow is all that great. When I have my hand in front of the output hose it isn't that great. My fish certainly don't hang in the output flow like my 2 sump returns or powerheads for entertainment.
I don't know that I would own one if I hadn't gotten it so cheap used on CL, $120 loaded. There is several threads on here about how to modify them to do more which makes me think there are a number of people that think it isn't as good as it should / could be.
This...exactly. I have mine on my 240 along with my sump and about 5ft of head and I'm not impressed. They're good filters but not great. I definitely wouldn't buy one brand new. On my next tank, I intend to go with ac110s.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store