Still Don't Understand FX5 Mania?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
im with you. heres my bottom line. the lowest price ive seen an fx5 is 199.00 thats without shipping. but ill go with that number even tho most people spend way more than that. if i had 200 bucks theres many other options id choose. hell, 4 brand new ac110s will make 1 fx5 look silly. 5 used ac110s wow.
theres a ton of generic canisters out there im not going to list them. even with the so called cheap plastic parts.. if taken care of, they can be just as reliable. do some research and the money would be better spent on other...

now im not saying that the fx5 is not a good filter. im just saying for the money id spend elsewhere.
Somehow picturing my tank lined with eight ac110s is what would look silly. Ofcoarse my tank is only eight foot long, so only room on the back for six of the ac110s. Guess I could hang the other two in front.

Cleaning interval on my two Fx5s is every 3-4 months. Cleaning my ac110s every 4 weeks. If you do the math, time spent...well i think anyone should be able to see were i'm going.

Yeah I would agree to there to being a lot of "silly" in this thread. Too much comparing apples to oranges, instead of comparing apples to apples. I mean what kind of idiot uses a sports car, when they need to be using a moving truck :duh:

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
See this just helps me understand a bit better. I love the sump made out of the rubbermaid draws that is just Awsome!!!See I am just not creative like that:(. I'm not saying at all that I hate my FX5 because that is not the case. It's just with all the hype I layed out the money got it here, setup (with some issues, I don't like Hagen Support) it up and I did not see what I was missing from what everyone else was seeing? Again I also own two 406's (which I like by the way, but its expensive for what you get in my opinion, from what I have read about past 04, 05, they have made allot of improvements) and the Marineland C530. I know a canister is not a sump but there are so many good canisters out there Eheim, Rena, Aquatop/Sun Sun, Etc. So, you folks out there that run multiple brands how do you think it compares? I wish I had the need or the money because there are probably five or six filters out there I'd love to try but I'm not one of the lucky folks with a fish room and multiple tanks. Look at posts on any one day and count how many times you see FX5 or AC110 (which is also a awsome filter I have owned one and loved it, but it also has it's issues).

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Well if comparing apples to apples for the $200 bucks you can't find a canister with the flow, capacity and track record of the FX5.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Basically your trying to start a filter war. Waste of time, if you like your filter great, if not great.... you could always take it back.

It holds 1.5 gallons of bio media, that is plenty imo. Best bang for your buck. I've had a xp4, fx5 puts it to shame.

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--1 MORE RACE LEFT! SEE YOU IN BRAZIL BOYS! LET'S MAKE IT 3 BACK TO BACK WDC!* :cheers:

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
Basically your trying to start a filter war. Waste of time, if you like your filter great, if not great.... you could always take it back.

It holds 1.5 gallons of bio media, that is plenty imo. Best bang for your buck. I've had a xp4, fx5 puts it to shame.

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--1 MORE RACE LEFT! SEE YOU IN BRAZIL BOYS! LET'S MAKE IT 3 BACK TO BACK WDC!* :cheers:
Well it's my thread so as I said in the beginning I have on my helmet. If you have followed this post so far and read my beginning remarks you would see it has been very peaceful. I am looking for opinions and have a open discussion without being rude which I asked to avoid when I started the thread. You find your FX5 to be the best for you thats great. Now please don't make any more comments unless there are civil in other words iqnore it if you cant make a comment in a nice way please.

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
Well if comparing apples to apples for the $200 bucks you can't find a canister with the flow, capacity and track record of the FX5.
See to me the FX5 is small compared to other filters in its class my 530 is much larger and cost less. I don't find much difference in the flow ither. Please allow me to clairfy again folks this post was to try to discuss why the FX5 seems to be so popular when other products out there seem compairable but you don't see them mentioned much.Yes I am a FX5 owner also so I am not just making these comments from the outside. I havn't had nor will I have the luxury to try some of these filters that dosn't mean I'm not interested how other brands work. Using cars for a example again I don't own a Toyota Corolla but just because I ask you how you like your Toyota dosn't mean I'm trying to start a arguement or a war as it was put earlier

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Really enjoy my FX5's...

For the cost they seem to be great filters, they are capable of handling large volumes of water and if filled with the right media, provide excellent flow and long intervals between cleanings.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other "capable" filters on the market but the FX5's are "trendy" because of their performance. You don't get to be popular by doing an ok job, you get to be popular by doing a great job. The track record and sales numbers on these filters speaks for itself.

The mania behind the filter is the fact that so many people endorse it. Like all of the other people on here, I'm here to learn from others and share my personal experiences. We all throw our opinions in about any product that we buy, be it good or bad; the FX5 has proven itself time and time again to many hobbyists and that is why you always hear so much about it. Sure, like everything manufactured it can and will break down and those reviews make it online as well but the percentage of good to bad reviews has shown that this filter will continue to be endorsed and hyped up; that is until someone makes a better, proven filter for less cash that earns the respect from hobbyists from around the world.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
An FX5 is a poor mans Eheim. I have an FX5 and I find it easy to maintain, stores a decent amount of bio and has pretty good flow. Compared to an Eheim that is twice the price, it's well worth it imo.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I run 2 Fluval FX5s and I am happy with them for what they cost.I would like to have a couple of Eheim 2262s but the cost is alot.I never had a issue with any fluval canister filter I have had so that is why for the money FX5 is a good choice.

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
Do most of you feel the GPH more than makes up for a lack in some volume? I mean I want and will get a Eheim 2262 or 2080 at some point. It's a personal thing I don't need it, but I just want it if any of you can get where I'm coming from. I just need to wait for a time when I can do it and keep my house and possibly my health:drool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store