Stingray Sales

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Ray sales are not down at all they are up. More rays are being sold than ever before. The raymarket is growing constantly, just not so much in Europe and the States because the "Millionaire Illusion" is gone.... but its better this way, people should get into it for the right reasons.

Vamp would be a good guy to buy from in the States!
Well said Mark.

I am finding more and more people are showing interest in rays once more, indeed we sold more rays recently than any other time. This is not a ray thing, its all to do with the recession. I keep and breed a few snakes not to mention know as many people with reptiles as I do rays and they are struggling to sell their off spring. For a longtime now anything over £50 has been hard to move on,Gaz (yargnits) A\C is not a true reflection of the market, all the same people on it, many of which want everything for nothing. Times have been hard for most people and the ones with the money have been frightened to part with it due to the uncertainty of the economy. Since the governments have been telling us we are in recovery and I sincerely believe we are albeit only steady I sense a feel good factor amongst customers once more, more and more big systems are being built throughout the aquarium trade to house large fish\rays.

So lets hear a few more positives its not all doom and gloom, this is a great hobby, a hobby that we can all do within the comforts of our own homes\fish houses, energy costs have risen but every hobby has its increases no matter what it is, there are many more interests out there that put a strain on our bank accounts far more than having your very own slice of the Amazon next to your sofa.

BEST HOBBY IN THE WORLD BAR NONE!!

Happy ray keeping to everyone, better times are just around the corner!!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Well said Mark.

I am finding more and more people are showing interest in rays once more, indeed we sold more rays recently than any other time. This is not a ray thing, its all to do with the recession. I keep and breed a few snakes not to mention know as many people with reptiles as I do rays and they are struggling to sell their off spring. For a longtime now anything over £50 has been hard to move on,Gaz (yargnits) A\C is not a true reflection of the market, all the same people on it, many of which want everything for nothing. Times have been hard for most people and the ones with the money have been frightened to part with it due to the uncertainty of the economy. Since the governments have been telling us we are in recovery and I sincerely believe we are albeit only steady I sense a feel good factor amongst customers once more, more and more big systems are being built throughout the aquarium trade to house large fish\rays.

So lets hear a few more positives its not all doom and gloom, this is a great hobby, a hobby that we can all do within the comforts of our own homes\fish houses, energy costs have risen but every hobby has its increases no matter what it is, there are many more interests out there that put a strain on our bank accounts far more than having your very own slice of the Amazon next to your sofa.

Nicely put Richard!!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Well said Mark.

You say that but I have seen some nice pearl rays that came from you struggling to sell for £175 and they have been for sale for weeks

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_336503.php

Another one for £150

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_334019.php

That's crazy motoro money

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
You say that but I have seen some nice pearl rays that came from you struggling to sell for £175 and they have been for sale for weeks

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_336503.php

Another one for £150

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_334019.php

That's crazy motoro money

Seen some P14s for the same Rich! like I said if you read the post A\C has the same audience,its not connecting with the right people, this classified forum is not the be all and end all regarding selling rays or anything more than £50 lol!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Seen some P14s for the same Rich! like I said if you read the post A\C has the same audience,its not connecting with the right people, this classified forum is not the be all and end all regarding selling rays or anything more than £50 lol!
Prices have just crashed

If you have the money now is the time to buy and hope prices go back up

The thing is once prices crash like that they don't normally recover

The only reason prices went sky high in the first place was the ban from Brazil
Then the ban was lifted a few years back now and people got all the breeding stock needed to satisfy demand most of the rays that left Brazil when the ban was lifted are of breeding age now

High grade stuff always sells but people can pick and choose now

It's also the running costs people just don't want to pay the high price electric bills now

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
it seems obvious to me that there are two opinions here.the glass is half full and the glass is half empty.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Should add Canada to the Europe and U.S. list. Stingray sales are down in Canada and nobody here is importing them anymore and the only way to get some is from a hobbyist and they are charging the same price as a vendor. Really would like to see more adult rays for sale as once you have your stock it's nearly impossible to add pups to the mix as they always get beat up by the adults. I really don't want to devote a tank to pups and wait 3yrs for them to grow out to go with the adults.
I hear ya. There have been a lot of pups with missing tails or dying from being chewed up by adults. I think having a dedicated pup or grow out tank is a must. Part of the fun in growing up a ray is watching them change / develope.

I think the reason why ray sales / imports are down is we don't do a very good job encouraging others to get into rays. Most times when a newbie asks on the forum "how big a tank?" or "what size tank?" they are quickly shot down or told they need massive tanks to have rays. How many of us had a 400 gallon tank kicking around looking for something to put in it? Most of us started with a 120 gallon or so with a pup or two and as our rays grew our tanks "grew" as well. If we get more people into the hobby then there will be more demand and sales / imports will increase.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I think the reason why ray sales / imports are down is we don't do a very good job encouraging others to get into rays. Most times when a newbie asks on the forum "how big a tank?" or "what size tank?" they are quickly shot down or told they need massive tanks to have rays. How many of us had a 400 gallon tank kicking around looking for something to put in it? Most of us started with a 120 gallon or so with a pup or two and as our rays grew our tanks "grew" as well. If we get more people into the hobby then there will be more demand and sales / imports will increase.
This is all so true........

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I hear ya. There have been a lot of pups with missing tails or dying from being chewed up by adults. I think having a dedicated pup or grow out tank is a must. Part of the fun in growing up a ray is watching them change / develope.

I think the other problem is we tell most people a 7x3 is the right size tank once rays out grow that it's very hard to sell them as most people won't have or ever get a tank bigger than that

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Agree with multiple people here. Overall interest in rays drives the sellers to bring more and more rays in. Tank size definitely drives some people away. The other issue really is that most people have a hard time supporting really large rays. Heck I think my food bill is low but still currently running 1000+ gallons and feeding all the mouths is expensive as well. Its a big commitment getting into rays.

I think the other problem is we tell most people a 7x3 is the right size tank once rays out grow that it's very hard to sell them as most people won't have or ever get a tank bigger than that

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store