Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Prices have just crashed

If you have the money now is the time to buy and hope prices go back up

The thing is once prices crash like that they don't normally recover

The only reason prices went sky high in the first place was the ban from Brazil
Then the ban was lifted a few years back now and people got all the breeding stock needed to satisfy demand most of the rays that left Brazil when the ban was lifted are of breeding age now

High grade stuff always sells but people can pick and choose now

It's also the running costs people just don't want to pay the high price electric bills now

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I think your right there Richard, I know a few people with big tank and big rays that have either closed down there tanks or sold on there rays due to running costs. We all no the high cost of feeding big rays, its not cheap and think that has brought the prices down aswell

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I think the other problem is we tell most people a 7x3 is the right size tank once rays out grow that it's very hard to sell them as most people won't have or ever get a tank bigger than that

I know a few people with big tank and big rays that have either closed down there tanks or sold on there rays due to running costs. We all no the high cost of feeding big rays, its not cheap and think that has brought the prices down aswell

This is exactly my point. We seem to point out the negatives of keeping rays rather than the positives. Let me propose a different scenario.

You see a person flying a remote control plan and think wow that would be a fun hobby. You approach the person and enquire about flying planes. The person tells you it will cost you $2,000 to buy a plan, the fuel is expensive, you'll have to join a club to use their field to fly the plane, it will take you hours and hours to learn how to fly it and you most likely will crash it the first time you take it out destroying it. Would you want to run right out and buy a plane?? Suppose he answers differently and says "this is a great and fantastic hobby that you'll enjoy for years, it's alot of fun flying. You can go to the hobby store and buy a starter plane for a $150, take it to a nearby park and learn how to fly it doing short, low flights. As you get better, fly higher and longer. You'll love it. If you want, I'll take you out and show you how to fly". Wouldn't that make you WANT to run out and buy a plane?? Most likely, a couple of years later you'll be that person with the $2000 plane out flying. It's the same with rays. If I was told 5 years ago I'd need a 400 gallon tank to keep rays I wouldn't have gotten into it. Five years later I have 6 tanks (2-400, 1-300, 1-230, 1-180 and a 90), 11 rays (3 different species) and am getting a fourth species soon. I started out with one 120 gallon tank and a $150 motoro. We need to encourage people rather than discourage.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
This is exactly my point. We seem to point out the negatives of keeping rays rather than the positives. Let me propose a different scenario.

You see a person flying a remote control plan and think wow that would be a fun hobby. You approach the person and enquire about flying planes. The person tells you it will cost you $2,000 to buy a plan, the fuel is expensive, you'll have to join a club to use their field to fly the plane, it will take you hours and hours to learn how to fly it and you most likely will crash it the first time you take it out destroying it. Would you want to run right out and buy a plane?? Suppose he answers differently and says "this is a great and fantastic hobby that you'll enjoy for years, it's alot of fun flying. You can go to the hobby store and buy a starter plane for a $150, take it to a nearby park and learn how to fly it doing short, low flights. As you get better, fly higher and longer. You'll love it. If you want, I'll take you out and show you how to fly". Wouldn't that make you WANT to run out and buy a plane?? Most likely, a couple of years later you'll be that person with the $2000 plane out flying. It's the same with rays. If I was told 5 years ago I'd need a 400 gallon tank to keep rays I wouldn't have gotten into it. Five years later I have 6 tanks (2-400, 1-300, 1-230, 1-180 and a 90), 11 rays (3 different species) and am getting a fourth species soon. I started out with one 120 gallon tank and a $150 motoro. We need to encourage people rather than discourage.
So what your saying is don't tell new ray keepers the negatives like you need a massive tank and it costs a lot of money

I think that's the wrong way to do things people should know the worst case

Yes rays are fun and very easy to take care of but they do have down sides which people should be informed about be for they go jumping in

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI

Great point. This is how i always talk to people interested in rays. Even though it is a big commitment you dont have to go all the way like we do. You could always keep 1 motoro in a 125 gallon for over a year and then trade it in at the lfs if rays arent for you. But if you decide you like them then you can upgrade.

T1 we are gonna have to change your screen name to T1DOWNER

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
So what your saying is don't tell new ray keepers the negatives like you need a massive tank and it costs a lot of money

I think that's the wrong way to do things people should know the worst case

Yes rays are fun and very easy to take care of but they do have down sides which people should be informed about be for they go jumping in

I think people looking to get into rays should no exactly wot they are getting into, no point in saying "well if you don't like it in a years time then trade it in" if that was the case you could all do that with rtc's and such fish. Think part of the reason prices have dropped in the uk a bit is because most of the people that want or do keep rays have most of the stock they want or can afford to keep. Your always get the odd new-comer that seems to try and buy up all the rays around but iv found they don't normally last very long in keeping rays.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I think there are pluses and minuses to every hobby. If we discourage people right from the beginning from getting into a hobby, they will never know if they would enjoy it. Just like any hobby, some will grow in the hobby, some will stay at a certain plateau and others will drop out. A person may start out with a 120 gallon and a Motoro, really like rays and get bigger tanks / higher quality rays, other may like rays but can't commit to bigger tanks so they seek out smaller species, and others will get completely out of rays and / or fish altogether. That's the way it goes with any hobby. My point is let's not discourage those who would enjoy and grow with the hobby from getting into it. 1 ray and 1 tank does not cost a whole lot to run. When you get into the massive tanks with multiple rays and high tech filtration systems, that's when the cost start adding up. Not everyone has to go that route. I've sold pups to people who have gone on to upsize their tanks and breed their rays. They are even members on MFK!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I think people looking to get into rays should no exactly wot they are getting into, no point in saying "well if you don't like it in a years time then trade it in" if that was the case you could all do that with rtc's and such fish. Think part of the reason prices have dropped in the uk a bit is because most of the people that want or do keep rays have most of the stock they want or can afford to keep. Your always get the odd new-comer that seems to try and buy up all the rays around but iv found they don't normally last very long in keeping rays.

Exactly well said

Maybe we should change your user name to doydoydowner lol

Yes you can keep a motoro in a tank for a year but then what happens to it

You can't sell it to a breeder as most breeders what the higher priced rays as they make more money as it costs the same to keep a bd as it does a motoro

Vamp would you buy a adult motoro I don't think so a higher priced better looking marble yes but a normal starter ray motoro no I don't think so

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
You say that but I have seen some nice pearl rays that came from you struggling to sell for £175 and they have been for sale for weeks

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_336503.php

Another one for £150

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_334019.php

That's crazy motoro money

Those prices annoy me as i paid a lot more for my Pearl. A lot of the time though it is about travelling to get what you want. I live on the south coast and all the rays seem to be up north. I don't want nor have the time to travel great distances to get what i want, so i was willing to pay more for the convenience of getting something closer to me.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
That is very true jim, as you say alot of the stock in uk is up north, iv seen sum great stock and great prices that I would of loved but I just dont have the time to travel 7-8 hours each way sadly.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Those prices annoy me as i paid a lot more for my Pearl. A lot of the time though it is about travelling to get what you want. I live on the south coast and all the rays seem to be up north. I don't want nor have the time to travel great distances to get what i want, so i was willing to pay more for the convenience of getting something closer to me.
I used to travel anywhere to get a fish I want

200 miles each way was nothing a good bit of the fun for me was going picking up the fish and driving back with a big smile on my face

It shouldn't bother you that prices are lower now than what you paid all that should matter is that you was happy with the price you paid at the time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store