Tankmates for wolves (Hoplias malabaricus)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

This issue has come up sporadically in different threads of other topics, but I thought some members (including myself) may benefit from a compiled list of specific experiences:

Which fish have you successfull kept long-term with the common wolf fish (Hoplias malabaricus)?

Bring it on :thumbsup:

HarleyK

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Okay, I'll start: Mine lives with three 2.5'' apple snails :D

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
i had a 7" H. malabaricus in a 150g tank with A Rainbow wolf, Jack Dempsey, Silver Arowana, several Polypterus, some sort of pike cichlid, common pleco, Pearl scale cichlid. All fish were About the same size. there Definately was some a fighting though. i no longer have this set up. The H. malabaricus would have killed everything eventually.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
A large Pleco.. don't know for how long.... is the meanest mother I've ever owned..not brutish like some american cichlids..this guy is cold mean, ice mean... I absolutely love him and his cousin the Rainbow wolf..but it is one guy per tank.. eventuallu, yes, with a couple of snails LOL

Cheers

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Hmm... Tankmates? I'd say, some driftwood, river rocks, some hardy plants maybe?!! ;)

I personally have never kept malabaricus wolfs before... but a buddy of mine did have a really nice wolffish tank setup awhile back... so nice, that it always stuck in the back of my head! :idea:

Buddy actually kept a trio of malabaricus in a 150g wide tank... with a nice group of caribe P's and ternetzi, as tankmates. It was actually the tank layout that made me like it so much. He used natural sand as substrate... (which was aquascaped in different layers: sand hills, ditches, high/low slopes, etc.) As the focal point, he put together a few nice long slender pieces of driftwoods in the center of the tank... which was put together in a triangular shaped 'tee-pee' style like fort, which the three wolffish used as their home claimed shelter. All around this fortress was all open space... kind of like a race track. The caribe and ternetzi P's would all school together and circle the wolves and their fortress. It was the most awesome looking wolffish tank I've ever seen. It looked tough! But anyways, GL with whatever tankmates you choose to keep. Keep us posted! :)

whiskey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
West Chester Pa. aka the dub
I used to keep one with my Oscar, and Endi and a Polypamas. He got punked all day by my oscar. They were both around 6 inches. The one morning we came out and he was on the couch next to the tank. We think the Oscar chased him out of the tank through a gap next to my fluval It was pretty depressing.

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
bump

Id like to see more from this thread if at all possible.I want a wolfish but am not a fan of single fish tanks.It may take a few different wolfish and many eaten tank mates but I would like to keep one with some cichlids maybe.Pikes,GT's,that sort of thing.

Guess I better makes sure theres no legality issues with them first,eh?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
i had mine with a huge apple snail and a 4 inch gold fish until i gave the wolf to my friend...the wolf was around 8 inchs

kane1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
england
i had 2 13" royal knife fish 2 silver XL dollars and 1 6" Hoplo in my tank before i got my 2 14"+ wolves , first the Hoplo went then the knifes got a bad beating, they had to go, the dollars were ok for a bit until i found one in a wolves mouth did save it. As you all might be aware i lost my female wolf so i ended up getting rid of the male. Still have the dollars!!!

If you get the wolf fish large i think it is impossible to mix it but if you get it young there is every chance of mixing it, i would suggest not to keep more than wolf though! I currently know someone who is keeping a 6-7" Mala with a tiger shovelnose of the same size and some cichlids they seem to be getting on ok however he did try and keep a 6" snake head this got eaten whole, the wolf had the whole thing in him!! :eek:

kane1 :headbang2 :headbang2

fortunateson

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2009
Canada
Crayfish lots and lots of crayfish, I've tried an oscar but in all fairness the Oscar was a lot smaller than the wolf. I currently have 6 crayfish in with my wolf and they never even fight.

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store