Tankmates for wolves (Hoplias malabaricus)

alvincent11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Afghanistan
I housed one with a African Lungfish for a while until my roommate put a pike cichlid in there. Wolfie and the Pike fought to the death. They left the whole tank to the lungfish.

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
I housed one with a African Lungfish for a while until my roommate put a pike cichlid in there. Wolfie and the Pike fought to the death. They left the whole tank to the lungfish.
I know this is a really old thread.

but really with a African Lungfish ? how big was the both of them ? and anyone else tried this before ?
I won't mind getting one with my Lungfish ^^ if its possible that is.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I have brycon with mine....and they're to fast for him to catch.

tanharold

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Philippines
Will a 4 inch goliath be ok with an 4" wolf fish?

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
mine is living with arowana, armatus, bichirs and aussie lung

Ah! there's hope to what I've been looking into... I'm starting a nice school of Hydrolycus Tatauaias and would love to own a wolf fish, but never knew if it would be a good idea. The tats would be some damn expensive feeders :duh:

May I ask, what sizes are your armatus and wolf fish? Was the wolf fish raised with them since young?

Brev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2009
Hong Kong
Ah! there's hope to what I've been looking into... I'm starting a nice school of Hydrolycus Tatauaias and would love to own a wolf fish, but never knew if it would be a good idea. The tats would be some damn expensive feeders :duh:

May I ask, what sizes are your armatus and wolf fish? Was the wolf fish raised with them since young?
My wolf is half the size smaller than my armatus, and they just simply ignore each other; on the other hand, i used to have a green texas and i sepearated it after its lips were torn by my wolf-- my wolf tends to defend aggressively when a fight is initiated, but it's generally calm when its tankmates leave it alone :)

P.S. I introduced my wolf to my armatus when it grew to 5 inch, which I thought was big enough not to fall prey to the armatus (which was 10 inch long by then); and the armatus had no interest in the wolf and didn't harrass the wolf like it did to other new comers...

DammitKhoa

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
MD
Ah okay... I guess I will have to postpone this experiment then haha my tats are only about six inches.. I wish I had room to set up a second tank! that'd be awesome haha thanks though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store