Tankmates for wolves (Hoplias malabaricus)

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Either way there is a risk. They are not as bad as most think. I personally would have no concerns keeping a mala with other large fish in a suitable sized aquarium.

I have two Curupira. One is a stroppy $%^&*$ and can not be kept with anything. The other I have with SD's and have previously had other to big to eat species. Only issue was other Hoplias, regardless of species.

Also have two Aimara. One by itself and won't tolerate anything in it's tank, The other is in a 8' with some large Brycon and ATF for well over a year now.

Also have a Lacerdae type that can be kept with anything as long as it's too big to eat.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Any mauling or fights with the one with tankmates?

mikepike66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
uk
look lets cut the s*** hoplias = predator keeping any predator with any fish shows total stupidity yes it may work but why risk it if you want a peacful tank keep guppies

mikepike66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
uk
Either way there is a risk. They are not as bad as most think. I personally would have no concerns keeping a mala with other large fish in a suitable sized aquarium.

I have two Curupira. One is a stroppy $%^&*$ and can not be kept with anything. The other I have with SD's and have previously had other to big to eat species. Only issue was other Hoplias, regardless of species.
sir me thimks you chat horsewaffle i cant even put my hans a plastic tube a net or indeed a lacerdae in my mala tank without it getting bitten you must be buying *** wolves or as i suspect keepimg them with fish from day 1 ,
Also have two Aimara. One by itself and won't tolerate anything in it's tank, The other is in a 8' with some large Brycon and ATF for well over a year now.

Also have a Lacerdae type that can be kept with anything as long as it's too big to eat.
Sir you chat total horseballs

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Let us keep the conversation civil, please.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Let's revive this thread :p
*I bought a juv hoplias (less than 2 inches) from vendor here labeled Lacerdae (still not sure it's a Lac or Malabaricus but as its get bigger I think it's a Mala...very expensive Mala :D), I keeping it in my planted tank with Corydoras, Octocinlus, yoyo loach and a bunch of guppies...Guppies disappear day by day and none of them left after few months (I'm feeding it with gut loaded rosy red), it's now around 5+ inches but it doesn't touch cory cats or octocinlus, it doesn't bother those 3~4 inches yoyo loach either...thing might change as the wolf grow bigger though, we will see! :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Yuki where did your wolf come from? Maybe some of us have similar ones?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store