THE fly fishing thread.

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
I see.

Quick question - what is it that makes the dry flies float? Just the type of material used to tie them? Or is there some type of glue that helps them float?

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I see.

Quick question - what is it that makes the dry flies float? Just the type of material used to tie them? Or is there some type of glue that helps them float?
Waterproof materials help, but you can use a "floatant" which basically waterproofs the fly. The fly pretty much has to be dry. I'm sure you've noticed some flies will float before they get water logged, even though they are supposed to sink.

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
Right, I've used floatant... I was just wondering if you use different threads or hair for dry flies vs nymphs?

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
And for starting fly fishing, Indicator set up is easiest (IMO) if your already all set up properly. I found dry fly fishing is the most fun and not too hard, and I've never really gotten into streamer fishing

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
my big weakness with fly fishing is that I never know what to use in a given situation
Yeah I agree, especially at a river you aren't familiar with, I found that mid day streamers, or running a hopper dropper/ indicator works best, something to get deep, and at dusk dawn, dry flies all day! Watch for hatches and research when hatches happen and imitate it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Pick up some rocks and flip em over....go from there. Use a siene net. Im becoming addicted to fly fishing these days. I start back at work tommorow and im super bummed. I have fished about 16-18 of the last 21 days or so. Fly fishn is a whole nother world compared to spin fishn. Im tempted to throw those rods in the garabge :)

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
This coming saturday is bass opener in Minnesota. I plan to do my best with the fly rod as long as the wind isn't in my face. Hopefully I can get at least one fatty on the fly!

I also have a GoPro camera that I'll be trying out so be on the look out for some amatuerish fly fishing vids lol. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store