The G.O.A.T. #Re2pect

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
but, this thread is about Jeter and I can respect what he's done and he's a 1st ballot hall-of-famer, so I'll try to stop

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Yes, hes a slightly better shortstop then cal Ripken but most people would say hes not great at the position either

Tom you're right but i take issue with the claim of GOAT (greatest of all time). He wasn't even the greatest of his generation, let alone greatest of all time. Hes a hall of famer (lots of not greats in the HOF), hes a legend (legends can be made from stats combined with other things) but surely hes not one of the greatest baseball player to ever lace up the cleats and flash leather. If you think he is, it's definitely why people like i have the ammo to call him overrated.

Sumo, guys on his team were smashing just as impressive a line up of honeys. Dudes like Gary Sheffield and David justice. I really really have an issue with a "GOAT" never being top 4 hitter in his very own line up

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Never mind any specific year... give me the 4 non steriod using hitters on the yanks that were better then him in the entire 20 year?

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
but, this thread is about Jeter and I can respect what he's done and he's a 1st ballot hall-of-famer, so I'll try to stop
Same here, lol, i just take issue with the concept that hes greatest of all time.

Ps, i think the iron man stat actually deflates some of ripken's other stats, especially hitting. I also respect that he moved off shortstop when it was obvious he no longer has the range or better athletes were around. Jeter refused to. Several times in the past 10 years he should've moved to third or second (Alfonso soriano, Alex Rodriguez, Robinson cano) were all better at the position then him on his own damn roster!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Same here, lol, i just take issue with the concept that hes greatest of all time.

Ps, i think the iron man stat actually deflates some of ripken's other stats, especially hitting. I also respect that he moved off shortstop when it was obvious he no longer has the range or better athletes were around. Jeter refused to. Several times in the past 10 years he should've moved to third or second (Alfonso soriano, Alex Rodriguez, Robinson cano) were all better at the position then him on his own damn roster!

Cano and Soriano were both d deficient for short and it took time for Cano to become a good second baseman.. and sori was so good he became a lf. Arod I agree when the trade happened.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Never mind any specific year... give me the 4 non steriod using hitters on the yanks that were better then him in the entire 20 year?
Why do I need to eliminate anyone? They batted better then him in the same exact line up right? Is it really MY fault they loaded up on juicers? Nope.

So hes a great clean Yankee? That moved him to the top of the list now? Poll everyone here whos greatest baseball player of the past 20 years and very few peoples first choice will be jeter. Eliminate steroid users and they'll find players who were great for a stretch of time over the past 20 years. Now name greatest basketball player, football player, or just for kicks golfer over the last 20 years and you get a much much clearer picture of who the greatest over a generation was. I bet the names that come up truly statistically dominated an era and have stats to back it up. Theres very little doubt that you're speaking about one of the greatest to play that sport. With jeter, it's very highly debatable. Hence. Leaves room for him to be called overrated.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Cano and Soriano were both d deficient for short and it took time for Cano to become a good second baseman.. and sori was so good he became a lf. Arod I agree when the trade happened.
At the time they left the team or played side by side they were better then jeter at it. We're not talking jeters of 15 years ago when they were in the line up. We're mostly taking past 10 years. their OTHER production makes up for it if they were similar fielders.......any other team would've switched him out or traded him

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't think Derrick Jeter is the greatest of all time, I don't think he's the greatest Yankee of all time. Both of these points I'm pretty sure Jeter himself would agree with. What he was, was/is a great ball player and a great Yenkee and a great role moldel for kids that love the game to aspire to. I summed up my feelings in a previous post. It's no secret I'm not a Boston fan however I have no problem recognizing the greatness of Ted Williams "The Splended Splinter" was the greatest natural hitter the game has ever seen. Derrick Jeter isn't over rated time will show he might be a little under rated. Alot of very good players couldn't thrive on the big stage thay were great as "big fish in a little pond" it takes a certen kind of individual to be a "big fish in a big pond". The old stadum was "The House That Ruth (GOAT might apply here) Built" the new stadum is "The House That Jeter Built" that should pretty much sum up his contrbution to baseball. His peers recognize him for what he is and that's really where the rubber meets the road.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Lol, I was talking to my gf today and she said i bet jeter doesn't think hes one of the greatest of all time.

You once again sum it up well tom. Thank you.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
We can debate this all night (glad your gf weighed in) BUT the point of this post was one to recognize one of the best we will ever see and more to the point was to tell the youngsters out there who may not understand this is a generational player to take a look before he is gone and understand the accomplishments. I wish someone stopped my when I was a kid and told me to appreciate the last generation of greats that were winding up when I was young. But as always the Yankee haters turn something good into a pissing contest about roid heads tarnishing his accomplishments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store