The insanity has begun... My 345 SA/CA Build thread

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
This is amazing. I can't believe the aro jumped it out of the tank.
Yeah, it kind of Sucked, considering that I bought and built this tank for her but in the long run it worked out ok; I did appreciate the room she left for more cichlids. I would eventually like to try an Aro again in the future. Also, thank you for the kind words!

Awesome tank!
Thank you :)

more pics?
Why not? :D

3 more from last night:

Left:

Strait on:

Right:

I adjusted the lighting a bit, it makes the right side of the tank a bit darker but brings the left driftwood area into view a bit more. Still trying to decide if I like it or not because it does brighten the center of the tank up quite a bit. Also, sorry if the pics are a bit blurry (camera phone) after taking pics over the last few days, I realized I need to get off my lazy butt and go buy a real camera lol.

Thanks again for looking!

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
What a gorgeous set up. You've sparked something in me. Im going to be integrating the rear waterfall in my 1000 gal stingray build. Very impressive thread. Happy that i stumbled across this. Thank you very much Ray!

Mistal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2013
Australia
Very nice tank! I wish I had the time and money to do something similar! though I'm surprised that the oscars haven't eaten every tetra in the tank

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
What a gorgeous set up. You've sparked something in me. Im going to be integrating the rear waterfall in my 1000 gal stingray build. Very impressive thread. Happy that i stumbled across this. Thank you very much Ray!
Glad I could be an inspiration Kevin! Make sure to post your build, I'm veey interested in what you come up with. :D

Very nice tank! I wish I had the time and money to do something similar! though I'm surprised that the oscars haven't eaten every tetra in the tank
Time was definitely the major factor here, the setup wasn't too bad really minus the filters and a few odds and ends; mostly second hand stuff and a few trips to home depot.

As far as the O's gobbling everything up, I've been pretty lucky. Moby and Fire Marshall Bill are actually fairly calm; they did take out a few of the long fin blushing but nothing else. They stay fairly well fed and usually only go after intentional feeders. My late O Swampthing on the other hand would have wasted them all and a few of my smaller cichlid's as well.

Thanks again for reading everyone! :)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the depths of the thread, but are those plants generally real? Some looked possibly fake but I can't tell. Mainly curious about the area above the water.

vfrstephen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
Timbuktoo
Nice looking setup.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the depths of the thread, but are those plants generally real? Some looked possibly fake but I can't tell. Mainly curious about the area above the water.
95% of the plants on the waterfall setup are fake, If I had to do it again, they'd be 100% real. Although I will admit fake plants are quite a bit easier to take care of :D. I do Have some philodendron growing up the right side of the fall and some pothos growing across the front of it but it will be quite a while before I can remove the fake stuff from the growth of the ivy's alone. I'm hoping to one day add some more and possibly remove some of the fake stuff but it will be a while before that happens; way too many other projects going on right now.

Nice looking setup.
Thank you

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
fantastic build!!
Thank you for the compliment, btw digging your avatar, lol.

you should try and enclose and cover the area with mesh to keep some amphibians.
I've thought about it, as I would love to try keeping something I haven't kept before; however I feel like I'd end up hurting the tank aesthetically so have decided against it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store