Two Fluval FX6 in a 180 Gallon aquarium

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Hey everyone ,

I've deciding on if i should use two Fluval FX6 Cannister filters on my new 180 gallon aquarium. Rated at 563 gph , that would give me just over 6x turn over in the tank per hour. I plan on housing 10 Red bellied piranha in the tank and was wondering if anyone could relay the results that they have had in similar sized tanks with the bio load i plan on having in the tank. also , I do plan on acquiring the fish at approx 1-3'' depending on what's available at my LFS once the tank has been up, running and cycled.

Thanks !

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I'm not exactly sure how this would break down, but I'm running (2) Emperor 400's, and (2) API Filstar XL/Rena XP4's on my 150 with a good amount of goldfish and koi growouts.

The Rena canisters are supposedly 450 gph, the Emperor 400 are 400 gph. It's said that these rating for gph are taken with the filter running empty though, so media is going to restrict your flow and lower your gph rating. So empty mine should run 1700gph total, but mine probably run at 1200-1300 gph total or less because of media and waste.

When your fish are small they'll do fine, you will have plenty of time to have that set up running. As they grow up though, you may find either it's clogging up too often or just not enough filteration.

I'm even at the point right now of cutting my stock down before spring breeding, and I'm switching to a sump before I pull growouts from this year's batch. Long term you may want to see if you have room for a sump under there with the canisters, the sock is much easier to clean out after messy feedings then taking a canister apart.

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
I think two fx6 on 180 will be good. Mine is one fx6, two ac110. I have about 8 large severums and many plecos and other smaller fish, so far so good

Sent from my D5803 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I run a single FX5 on my 180 planted tank. If it wasn't planted, I would need more turnover. You need more than one, but two could be too much. I had two on my 265 and it blew the sand around into the corners.

I would go with 2. If output force is an issue, use modyfied spray bars that flow forwards and point upwards towards the surface in other spots. Or have open endcaps. Flow can always be managed.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
The only reasons I am saying more is, well, first I'm a filter junkie, and second - you're going to have a mess from the food waste if you feed live.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
For around the same money you can set up a decent sump.......far easier to clean and more efficient if you get a good wet/dry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I have one Fluval FX6 on my overstocked with goldfish 65 gallon tank and it keeps up just fine. It's over 5 gallons and over 4 gallons of actual media. The standard turnover is 10x per hour but really the chemical reaction happens as fast as an ion can migrate. I use SeaChem's Matrix. Made of spun glass it has the largest available surface area for any bio-media out there. The fish I have now would fit comfortably in your 180 gallon tank and I do just fine with the one FX6. (yes I know I'm setting up two other tanks). It became overstocked when my 180 gallon tank developed a serious crack and I had to double up on my goldfish space. My filter keeps up with the demand but the water needs to be changed at least once a week as the nitrate creeps upward toward 30PPM. I'm afraid by "compressing" the bio-system in the tank, the system has become tenuous and vulnerable to disruption. Your one FX6 can handle the bio-load but the more bio-media the less vulnerable the system becomes. Hope my rambling helped.

Glenn

Glenn

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think 2 are fine probably get away with 1 and an ac110 which could be set up for mech/purigen easy maintenance instead of having to open the cans more frequently. Have you looked into the eheim 2262 ? I have a 150 gal and was running an fx6 and ac110. I eventually swapped out the fx6 for the 2262. I know on paper they might be rated for the same gph but the 2262 moves way more water and hold allot more bio. I had all 3 trays filled with bio in the fx6 and was able to fit all of it in 2262 plus almost all 4liters of additional matrix. I like the fx6 still use it on a 75 gal but the maintenance is a nightmare with the trays and sponges. I'd set up the ac110 as mainly mech with purigen for easy maintenence and go heavy on the bio in whatever cans you choose

Either way you cant go wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store