Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Here's my latest model....

Another view of Step 2..

Another view of Step 3..

Another view of Step 4..

Here are some pictures of what (I hope) the final product will look like.. I did not add the lid to my steps from above.. Also, I plan on adding another viewing window into one of the sides.. I didn't even realize that till I had pretty much finished… So just pretend there's a viewing window on one of the sides.. & with the hood, I plan on having 2 36" Lights covering the backs, possibly 4.. the cut across the whole backside is for all my FX5 hoses.. and the big square cuts in the front will have "doors" on hinges that I'll be able to open for feeding.. Thinking about just having the whole front count out so it's easier to clean the sand and whatnot.. or just have the whole lid "lay" on top, so I could easily just pick it up and lay it on my bed or whatever.

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
If you go with 3/4"-1" ply you can skip the internal corner braces making it a little easier to fiberglass. They won't do much for support if anything at all. Also I'd make sure that top brace goes all the way back for added support.

As for fiberglass its not to difficult from what I hear. You only need it on the corners and If I remember correctly If you use a product like pond armor to seal it you can just Use the fiberglass cloth and coat it with pond armor for the same/similar effect.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Zari5530094 said:
If you go with 3/4"-1" ply you can skip the interjnal corner braces making it a little easier to fiberglass. They won't do much for support if anything at all. Also I'd make sure that top brace goes all the way back for added support.

As for fiberglass its not to difficult from what I hear. You only need it on the corners and If I remember correctly If you use a product like pond armor to seal it you can just Use the fiberglass cloth and coat it with pond armor for the same/similar effect.
What exactly do you mean by top brace? But okay sounds good. Thanks for the tips

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Alrighty.. Where exactly would I run my Fx5's then?

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Drill some holes in the top to put the tubes through. Will be stronger structurally.

You could even get some bulk heads and run it through the back wall but that's a different story

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Do you think if I just used say 1" plywood, I could pretty much just make a "box" (without the top of course) and then just cut the viewing windows out of the plywood? And then have the glass go completely from side to side?

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
I get what you're saying..I like that.. I just needed something to hold the lights but just 1 2x4 would be much easier and cheaper

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store