"Very Rough" sketch of my DIY Plywood 7x4x3

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Do you waterproof just the inside where the water will be, or do you do the whole tank, inside and out?
& thank you so much for all your help

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Insides only really needed. However I would recommend a layer of epoxy resin without fiberglass if you do go the fiberglass route. Or some kiltz on the outside since its cheap.

Because its a fish tank you are going to drip water, spill water, splash water, and get water on the outside surfaces which aren't ment to have water on them.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
When I fiber glass, am I just doing the seams or the whole inside of the tank?

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Or is fiberglassing even needed? I'd like to skip that because I've never dealt with it

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'd really suggest you use it in the corners at least... I didn't use it through my whole tank but I did use approximately 6" strips in all the corners. It's really not that hard to use.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure about your first link. I don't see anywhere on it that it's fish safe. You have the right idea though.

When I did my tank I used Pond Armor (which looks suspiciously like the Lowes epoxy can). I just used some of the epoxy to set my fiberglass in place. if you measure and double check all your cuts prior to using the liquid to secure it you can't really go wrong.

The screws you have identified state that they are vinyl coated. I can't see why that would harm but I used regular deck screws on my build.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary but I used an outdoor wood glue instead of just regular wood glue. Outdoor glue is water resistant so I thought it was money well spent.

I can't say for certain as I don't see the context pre-drilling usually means using a small drill bit (approx 1/8") to drill a pilot hole for your screw. From experience it's necessary in 'real' wood. I didn't find it necessary on the plywood. If you doubt your screwing skills :ROFL: then pre-drill and error on the side of caution. Think about this... you are building a frame that will hold approx 3 tons of water.... you want those screws to be in the center of the plywood and not blowing out the sides of the plywood.

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
I'm not sure about your first link. I don't see anywhere on it that it's fish safe. You have the right idea though.

When I did my tank I used Pond Armor (which looks suspiciously like the Lowes epoxy can). I just used some of the epoxy to set my fiberglass in place. if you measure and double check all your cuts prior to using the liquid to secure it you can't really go wrong.

The screws you have identified state that they are vinyl coated. I can't see why that would harm but I used regular deck screws on my build.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary but I used an outdoor wood glue instead of just regular wood glue. Outdoor glue is water resistant so I thought it was money well spent.

I can't say for certain as I don't see the context pre-drilling usually means using a small drill bit (approx 1/8") to drill a pilot hole for your screw. From experience it's necessary in 'real' wood. I didn't find it necessary on the plywood. If you doubt your screwing skills :ROFL: then pre-drill and error on the side of caution. Think about this... you are building a frame that will hold approx 3 tons of water.... you want those screws to be in the center of the plywood and not blowing out the sides of the plywood.
You. Are. The. Man. Lol .. or woman, not sure lol
I wouldn't say I doubt my "screwing" skills Hahaha but I'm definitely gonna do everything I can that will help the structure..
Pond armor... what exactly is that? Just something you layer on and it gets the job done? Aha.
Fiberglass... any chance you could link me what I'd need? Just as far as the fiberglassing goes..
Once again, thank you tons for answering all my questions!

Also, for the wood glue, do you just dab it on the screw before drilling it in? Or what? What is the main use for it?

Sent from my DROID3 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
Still looking for some fiber glassing help! Also, thinking about going 6x3x3.. possibly 6x3x2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store