Water conditions affecting the sex of the ray.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
jwong1024;3108164; said:
I believe it is all the nature of science.

Not to hijack your thread, but please stop cross breeding. Your hybrid do not look as good as pure PDR or Pure Leo.
PDR is LEO:screwy:

Gr8KarmaSF;3108320; said:
Nice hybrid pups. :headbang2

jwong, your are def. entitled to your opinion but theres no need to be rude and tell people what they should or shouldnt do...
:popcorn:

:headbang2

hybrid them up bro...

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
abortedsoul;3108149; said:
From a biological standpoint, it would seem very unlikely that it is anything in the water or the diet (unless there are some unaccounted for hormones or something else like that). More than likely it is just a random coincidence.

yup a freak thing.... odds of hormones is really low...

is it possible there claspers havent popped out that little bit yet to ID a male? i know of people who have thought to have full litters of females only to have claspers show in a few weeks....

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
abortedsoul;3108149; said:
From a biological standpoint, it would seem very unlikely that it is anything in the water or the diet (unless there are some unaccounted for hormones or something else like that). More than likely it is just a random coincidence.
I know they use extracts from female urine to enhance the growth in dory (Suchi) fillets to make them grow faster.
http://philosophyrecycled.blogspot.com/2008/10/pangas-fish-dory-fish.html

Could it affect the sex of babies?

jwong1024;3108164; said:
I believe it is all the nature of science.

Not to hijack your thread, but please stop cross breeding. Your hybrid do not look as good as pure PDR or Pure Leo.
Looks wise, I paid a five digit figure for a pair of them so to each his own.

Many of the most expensive rays in asia are not 'pure.' And like most 'pure' breed dogs dogs, purity and beauty are just man made ideas which have no meaning in the wild and are always only a few generations of inbreeding away from being called pure.

Maybe you would like to ask all mixed raced couples to break up too?

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
lincolngoh;3108560; said:
I know they use extracts from female urine to enhance the growth in dory (Suchi) fillets to make them grow faster.
Unlikely, but without some more research it would be hard to rule it out off-hand.

Maybe you would like to ask all mixed raced couples to break up too?
I knew there was a reason that I really liked you, lincolngoh. I bet they hate it when someone points out the inconsistency of their misconceived, illogical and high-handed notions of purity. lolz.

Hybrids are the best. (And yes, before someone pops up here and tries to tell me that intra-genus breeding isn't true hybridization, I'm well aware of this. Nomenclature is one of my strong points. However, in certain specialized communities certain vocabulary takes on morphology of its own. For instance, you would never run up to someone who spoke a pigeon form of English and complain at them about pronunciation or grammar. When in Rome.)

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
abortedsoul;3108610; said:
Unlikely, but without some more research it would be hard to rule it out off-hand.

I knew there was a reason that I really liked you, lincolngoh. I bet they hate it when someone points out the inconsistancy of thier misconcieved, illogical and high-handed notions of purity. lolz. :popcorn:

Hybrids are the best.
The amount of hormones they put in our genetically modified foods have not been tested properly. Fish hormones are directed at aquatic life may affect rays more than they do us. And a number of hormones are meant to enhance growth at the expense of life span. I've heard most chickens mature at 4 months compared to 1.5 years in the past. At 2yo their hearth gives out, while my neighbour has a wild chicken well into it's 20s.

I always try to go for wild caught seafood rather than farm bred stuff.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Beauty wise, I guess its about freedom of choice, and not being forced or judged by someone else styeotype. I breed both pure and hybreed rays without prejudice.

Sorry for the numerous double post.

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
lincolngoh;3108613; said:
The amount of hormones they put in our genetically modified foods have not been tested properly.
Genetically modified foods and foods that have added hormones are two totally seperate issues. Adding hormones to an animal's diet can influence the sex systems of said animal; no medical change (short of certain allergic reactions) has ever been shown to come from genetically altered food.

lincolngoh;3108613; said:
...not being forced into other people's styeotype of beauty.
That is an incredibly profound subject. I wholeheartedly agree.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Looks wise, I paid a five digit figure for a pair of them so to each his own.
:WHOA: That reminds me, we need an long overdue UPDATE!!!:irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store