Water conditions affecting the sex of the ray.

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Gr8KarmaSF;3109525; said:
:WHOA: That reminds me, we need an long overdue UPDATE!!!:irked:
I know! Who spends that kind of money on stingrays and doesn't show them off to all of their waiting fans?

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
abortedsoul;3108620; said:
Genetically modified foods and foods that have added hormones are two totally seperate issues. Adding hormones to an animal's diet can influence the sex systems of said animal; no medical change (short of certain allergic reactions) has ever been shown to come from genetically altered food.
I used to peddle Organic Stuff so I have whole lot of material which say otherwise. :grinno:

But the fact is that no one knows the combined effects of these genetic & chemical alterations over 30-50 years... no test were done to prove that they are harmless.

Cancers are on the rise which is simply abnormal growth of cells which are already present.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
well, im willing to bet, rays are like most animals. Produce more females then males. Think of deer, how many bucks are there compaired to does, male rays can knock up females left and right... there is no need for an abundance of males

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Love the update Lin but seriously, just one pic? - lol

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
turkeyboy85;3112323; said:
well, im willing to bet, rays are like most animals. Produce more females then males. Think of deer, how many bucks are there compaired to does, male rays can knock up females left and right... there is no need for an abundance of males
that theory just from the top of your head? You just lost your bet! :)

given the condition that males and females cost equal amounts to produce:
Suppose male births are less common than female.
A newborn male then has better mating prospects than a newborn female, and therefore can expect to have more offspring.
Therefore parents genetically disposed to produce males tend to have more than average numbers of grandchildren born to them.
Therefore the genes for male-producing tendencies spread, and male births become more common.
As the 1:1 sex ratio is approached, the advantage associated with producing males dies away.
The same reasoning holds if females are substituted for males through-out. Therefore 1:1 is the equilibrium ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_ratio

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
guess thats why im an engineer not a biologist, but based off of my own breeding activity, I have a 3male 7 female pup ratio

DavidW;3112443; said:
that theory just from the top of your head? You just lost your bet! :)

given the condition that males and females cost equal amounts to produce:
Suppose male births are less common than female.
A newborn male then has better mating prospects than a newborn female, and therefore can expect to have more offspring.
Therefore parents genetically disposed to produce males tend to have more than average numbers of grandchildren born to them.
Therefore the genes for male-producing tendencies spread, and male births become more common.
As the 1:1 sex ratio is approached, the advantage associated with producing males dies away.
The same reasoning holds if females are substituted for males through-out. Therefore 1:1 is the equilibrium ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_ratio

sixftsam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2008
England, Surrey
If we work on the assumption that there is a 50-50 chance of a male or female, and that each batch had 7 pups in it, for the sake of argument (as i dont think you specified a figure), then i roughly worked out the odds of 14 females straight as 16384:1.

These are pretty long odds, but when you consider that any "odd" combination would be remarked on, all boys, boy girl boy girl, girl boy girl boy, etc etc, you could make this number a lot smaller!

I'm not saying that its not hormone related, ive got no idea, but its not beyond the realms of possability that it is random, crazier things have happened, and the odds arent too far against it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store