Were can i get

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2449334; said:
so richard or solomon what is the max captive sizes for the diff species of gar?
Roughly the following seem to be accepted averages based on documentation both peer reviewed and anecdotal:

Atractosteus:
Alligator gar (A. spatula): 15 to 24 inches first year. 5 foot average adult size
Tropical gar (A. tropicus) 12 to 15 inches first year, 2 foot average adult size (Unestablished)
Cuban gar ( A. tristoechus) 12 to 15 inches first year, 3 foot average adult size (Unestablished)

Lepisosteus:
Longnosed gar (L.osseus) 12 to 14 inches first year, 2.5 to 3 foot adult size
Shortnosed gar (L. platostomus) 12 to 14 inches first year, 2 foot adult size
Spotted gar (L. oculatus) 10 to 12 inches first year, 2 foot adult size
Florida gar (L. platyrhincus) 12 inches first year, 2 foot adult size

Hybrids are very much undocumented but have been shown to mirror the species crossed with an intermediate plateau point. For example the L. platostomus X A. spatula hybrids maxed out at 14 inches the first year. Actual adult size is unknown. Currently (11-21-08) most are around 25 to 27 inches. These fish are all from 2003 stock.

Variations in the growth of any of these fish has been documented. Differences in husbandry can alter averages to Larger or smaller..

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Thanks, that's good info to have. Are these figures strictly for fish kept indoors, or does it include pond-raised fish as well?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Noto;2449365; said:
Thanks, that's good info to have. Are these figures strictly for fish kept indoors, or does it include pond-raised fish as well?
Both sort of..... figures come from Aquaculture, morphology studies, life history studies and anecdotal hobby and Professional aquaria observations and information collected over the past 10 years. Cuban gars and Tropicals are still a work in progress (Hence undocumented) as the sample size is very low.

MrBlakcIS300

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
MN
Wow... Bow down to the yoda of gar knowledge.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks for that help poly.
i didnt know tropical gars stayed that small in captivity.
How did u (or whom ever) get the gars to cross breed?
i figured that the size diff in some (such as the florida and gator combo) would be too great for them to try and breed. but i dont know alot about how they breed eather

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2450266; said:
thanks for that help poly.
i didnt know tropical gars stayed that small in captivity.
How did u (or whom ever) get the gars to cross breed?
i figured that the size diff in some (such as the florida and gator combo) would be too great for them to try and breed. but i dont know alot about how they breed eather
there is plenty of info on how gars spawn available online and in books, so i would look that stuff up as it's readily available. basically several males attend to 1-2 females and eggs are fertilized as they are released. therefore size differences between species wouldn't be as big of a difference as you'd think.

hybridization takes place in the wild and has been noted between a few pairs of species; one of the most notable being longnoses and gator gars. the hybrids you see in the trade (from back in 2004) were 'created' by just combining eggs and milt (sperm) from females and males externally (or having the females stripped for eggs); therefore these were artificially created hybrids, not natural.

hope that helps shed some light on the hybrids...again, in terms of gar spawning i'd encourage you to look up available info--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks ALOT there solomon. that is great info
p.s. thanks for ignoring some of my stupid comments or questions
also is there still hybrids available? if so were?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Wow... Bow down to the yoda of gar knowledge.
Nah thats Solomon I'm more of the Darth Vader or imperial emperor to his Yoda.... I use the force for evil as well as good far to often..... (See above)

also is there still hybrids available? if so were?
They pop up here and there and are always the L. platostomus x A. spatula hybrids. A couple have been available over the past year and almost none of them actually sold very well. I think most where listed for well over 5 months before moving. Most are between 24 and 28 inches so they do not sell. Few really can house them... At current I know of 10 that are still around and know whom owns them. Always a chance a new one might show up but most surviving ones are rather tracked animals by us gar folks.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks for the info poly
let me know if you find any and give us pics :)
also if u find 1 and dont want it let me know :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store