E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2451158; said:
thanks for the info poly
let me know if you find any and give us pics :)
also if u find 1 and dont want it let me know :)
keep in mind the sizes richard mentioned on those fish...if a tropical gar is too big for you, then a hybrid gar is definitely too big for you...not necessarily trying to judge what you can handle, just basing that call on what you've said in previous posts.

these are not small nor tame fishes...most of the crocs we know of have serious attitude issues (mine effectively killed a gator gar sometime back) --
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks for the info
when i said the trop was too big i thought it got larger than 25inches, i didnt know the max captive size, i thought we were talking a 4' fish. at the moment that is larger than i can handle. i focus my time on learing about fl/ spot, long nose and gators.
i know little to nothing when it come to tropical,shortnose or cuban gars. i also LOVE gars with attitude. My gar will try to kill anything, he used to kill feeders way too big for him to eat. To him it is his tank no one else's.

*side note* thank u for being respect full

E_americanus;2451187; said:
keep in mind the sizes richard mentioned on those fish...if a tropical gar is too big for you, then a hybrid gar is definitely too big for you...not necessarily trying to judge what you can handle, just basing that call on what you've said in previous posts.

these are not small nor tame fishes...most of the crocs we know of have serious attitude issues (mine effectively killed a gator gar sometime back) --
--solomon

hehe

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
PSS-
I agree with both of the above statements (by Richard and Solomon) Good info is hard enough to come by...don't litter these threads with GARbage.

Hey Richard....remember that short temper discussion we had not too long ago....:)

oh yeah and so this post isnt useless....I agree with Solomon on the size thingy (although I have no personal experience)

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
2 feet max captive size should be handlable for most monster keepers, (assuming you have the space or are willing to pay for it.)

However, that note on the croc gars was interesting. So your basically saying that these guys are unocommable? Like the common conjecture on flowerhorns?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2451158; said:
thanks for the info poly
let me know if you find any and give us pics :)
also if u find 1 and dont want it let me know :)
I'm not particularly looking for them anymore as my focus is more on fish that require more attention now. That being non hybrid fish.

While the hybrid fish are very interesting and quite cool animals, I find a good locality known Longnose, Florida, spotted or Shortnose far more useful. I just can not really justify accommodating space to hobby hybrids when so much really needs to be done with the standard fish.

Otherwise no worries on wanting them. I do like to keep track of these fish but I have no interest in keeping them at this time. I had one (With a bizarre history) and I loved the sucker but I had to move him out.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
still poly if ya run across 1 4 sale let me know

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
AU_Arowana-RG;2483002; said:
As in aggressive to the point of attacking other tankmates. That, or attacking other gars only.
attack other tankmates, attack other gars...generally the same to a croc gar in most cases--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store