What kind of budget should I be looking at?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Focus first on donations, figure out tanks you will have, lighting for tanks, filtration for those tanks, budget after that, then stocking tanks.
No sense in stocking ideas until you have a setup to work with. Yes you need to have something in mind but don't set anything in stone for stock until you get everything else figured out.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Focus first on donations, figure out tanks you will have, lighting for tanks, filtration for those tanks, budget after that, then stocking tanks.
No sense in stocking ideas until you have a setup to work with. Yes you need to have something in mind but don't set anything in stone for stock until you get everything else figured out.
Good point, thanks man. I haven't worried too much about the tanks, but the big freshwater one has my mind racing a but. I've never gotten to stock something quite this size before, its pretty exciting

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
It might be worth defering to someone for filtration if you don't have experience with big systems, particularly if you have a high stock or start with adults.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yes it is but don't loose focus of the whole picture
It might be worth defering to someone for filtration if you don't have experience with big systems, particularly if you have a high stock or start with adults.
I talked to someone (who is not a member on here, however his name will not be disclosed for privacy reasons) who's a friend of mine, he's got a bunch of wholesaler accounts. He's going to put me in touch with CoralVue for starters. Won't do much for freshwater, but I'll hopefully have the saltwater tanks covered.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I talked to someone (who is not a member on here, however his name will not be disclosed for privacy reasons) who's a friend of mine, he's got a bunch of wholesaler accounts. He's going to put me in touch with CoralVue for starters. Won't do much for freshwater, but I'll hopefully have the saltwater tanks covered.
I hate asking, but is there any update on this plan? Is it a go?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, you, by yourself will be caring for all of these tanks? But you also have a full time job and tanks of your own? How exactly do you plan on fitting all of this in to your personal life? All of the large fish you are wanting require very specific diets and need to be fed daily. You are literally talking about a full time job caring for these guys unless you trust anyone at the school enough to properly feed, check water parameters, and daily monitor these guys.

And, as others have said, 100 gals of water change on a 600 gallon tank is nothing. Thats roughly a 16/17% water change, that isn't enough even for the second stock list you released. My 220 is lightly stocked with a 55 gal MB sump and I still change 80-85% of the total tank volume every week. Even with a drip system, I feel like you will be battling nitrates unless you are dripping 100 gallons a day.

I understand the want for all the different types of aquatic animals, but I can't help but thing a 1500-2000 gallon freshwater tank with all the monsters you are wanting would be easier, cleaner, and look way better than a hodge podge of random crap on a wall in a school.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store