What the heck is going on!!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1412528507998.jpg

I have 2, but they are the kind with white markings on the leaves and ive been told only the green parts are photosynthetic, but who knows. They aren't growing much, but my grean leaf variety is going nuts in my fry tank.

Its the end of garden season, im gonna try to snatch up some more on clearance

I def recommend pothos. Especially if high nitrates are a concern

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I will try this... you think if I can get one HOB that it's going to be enough? I am thinking of taking down one of my 60 gallons and using the ac110 that's on it. it has all the stock filter media that an ac110 normally comes with though. You think that a pothos with all green leaves is fine?
uploadfromtaptalk1412529707763.jpg
Had this growing in some water for a few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
yeah you cant beat ac 110's got two on my 125 and tossed out the canister (i hate canisters) they are my only filtration and tank is crystal clear.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Did you by any chance forget to wash the pool filter sand. Everytime I've used it, should get washed real good to get the fine silt out of it. Pothos are always good :) my Oscar likes to play with the roots

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Did you by any chance forget to wash the pool filter sand. Everytime I've used it, should get washed real good to get the fine silt out of it. Pothos are always good :) my Oscar likes to play with the roots
Washed and moved the sand around in a bucket it till the water ran crystal clear then I did a 70% water change after I added the sand....it's not the sand I've been having this issue for a while....and about the ac110 looks like I'm going to have the sponge, some filter floss, some pot scrubbers and those little bio rings ya think that's cool I think and I hope this will solve the issue

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ime, the FX5/6 are great filters for bio, but terrible for polishing. They make your tanks healthy but don't really help to make them pretty. I got a magnum 350 canister as a supplement to my FX5 and used the micron filter. I always had crystal cleat water after that.

Moved to setup and filtration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Did anyone think that may'be the tank is getting too much light? Is it near a window? Reduce some of the light, natural or unnatural and see what happens

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Ime, the FX5/6 are great filters for bio, but terrible for polishing. They make your tanks healthy but don't really help to make them pretty. I got a magnum 350 canister as a supplement to my FX5 and used the micron filter. I always had crystal cleat water after that.

Moved to setup and filtration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You can add a polishing pad to the top basket in the FX5. Kill two birds with one stone and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Lomg term cloudy water usually is caused by a bacteria bloom. I may have missed it but what are you running for media? 1 fx6 is a bit weak for 180g by itsself imo and id bet more bio would help especially if its in the form of another filter you can alternate cleaning so you arent disrupting all your bb at the same time. Not to sound dumb but how are you cleaning your filter? If you are disturbing the BB a lot every week or 2 cleaning that may be causing it. A quick rinse in tank water is all thats needed for bio media

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just hooked up an ac110 from my 60 gallon. Is my pothos ok just to stick in there? It's been growing in a little bowl of water for months. Should I cut the roots or rinse it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store