What the heck is going on!!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
how do you clean your filters? what do you rinse them in. +1 to the AC110. i run 2 on my 180.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
how do you clean your filters? what do you rinse them in. +1 to the AC110. i run 2 on my 180.
Here is how I do it.
I unplug the fx6 and remove and close input and output valves/hoses. Then I drain the canister into a Rubbermaid tote and siphon some tank water in there as well. Then I rinse everything media and media trays in that water from the tank and canister in the tote (I know gross) then I rinse the canister and flush it out with tank water and re-set it all back up and plug it back in.. that's all I do I don't use tap water I don't use chemicals I don't do anything that would kill the bb. I basically do the same for all my HOB'S and I have had no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Did it look like that when you first filled it? I'm wondering if there might be some chemical hazing to the acrylic itself that is easier to see once filled with water. There are all sorts of chemicals that might do that. IMO- this seems more likely of an explanation over your water being like that for over a year.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i am at loss then, looks like bacterial bloom, this caused by either un-cycle tank or not enough bio filtration. put the AC110 on, leave the canister alone. do not clean for at least 2 months. AC every other week. and do not over feed. also put a pre-filter on the AC intake. this will need to be cleaned every water change. check perajms and do the water changes, i would do every other day, 90% , tank primed for size of tank not water replacing *(add before adding new water, not after) until perams run good and no more more cloudy 2 days after water change.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Did it look like that when you first filled it? I'm wondering if there might be some chemical hazing to the acrylic itself that is easier to see once filled with water. There are all sorts of chemicals that might do that. IMO- this seems more likely of an explanation over your water being like that for over a year.
Yeah its a glass tank but when looking from above the tank it still looks cloudy. When I had an oscar in there a while back the glass and water always stayed clear with my ac 110s so glass isn't the issue

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
i am at loss then, looks like bacterial bloom, this caused by either un-cycle tank or not enough bio filtration. put the AC110 on, leave the canister alone. do not clean for at least 2 months. AC every other week. and do not over feed. also put a pre-filter on the AC intake. this will need to be cleaned every water change. check perajms and do the water changes, i would do every other day, 90% , tank primed for size of tank not water replacing *(add before adding new water, not after) until perams run good and no more more cloudy 2 days after water change.
OK will do. I usually add conditioner by the bucket not all at once to the tank. And how about my pothos, just throw it in there?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
6NHv7RX.jpg

Everything is a bit messy but this it was the pothos looks like coming out of the aqueon 55/75. I haven't seen the roots in a bit but I imagine they've grown quite a bit as well.

6NHv7RX.jpg

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Tank is already clearing little by little! Thank god for hobs it's crazy how they are such good workhorses

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
I have 2 fx6 filters on my 240. Substrate is pfs. Been running it for a few months so far it seems to be working. Looking back i think i shudve built a sump.

As far as energy efficiency is concerned. I think the canisters are better than the return pump needed for the sump. The fx6 43 watts. And some pumps use about 150 watts

But i think sump are easier to maintain if setup properly. And you take keep the heaters and other stuff out of main tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So any media you recomend for polishing? Going to get filter floss later today I guess if that helps anything else? Also may get another used ac110 should I just load em up with floss?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store