What's the biggest moray and what's the minimum tank to house 1 for life?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I agree that you need to either secure the rock well or use such big rocks as they can't move them.
Other than gluing, a trick I've learned is to drill holes in the top/bottom of rocks and use short lengths of PVC as a "peg" to secure them together.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
180-250 isn't really nothing to sneeze at, you can work with that. Look at moray keepers on YouTube, not all of them have huge tanks. If you want to get a big moray, find one small, grow him up in that tank. In the same time your doing that, put some money away so if you do want to keep him you'll have a stash to get another tank. But to be honest, you won't have him for life. You might get bored or tired of him eating all his tank mates. And if that happends than you can all ways sell him or donate him.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
180-250 isn't really nothing to sneeze at, you can work with that. Look at moray keepers on YouTube, not all of them have huge tanks. If you want to get a big moray, find one small, grow him up in that tank. In the same time your doing that, put some money away so if you do want to keep him you'll have a stash to get another tank. But to be honest, you won't have him for life. You might get bored or tired of him eating all his tank mates. And if that happends than you can all ways sell him or donate him.
+1 sound advice IMO

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I can see the point of the above advice....but do ot take it for granted that ou may be able to get rid of it so easily...

Perhaps so stateside. In here, it is only, fw and sw combined, around 20 guys who keep monsters....and public institutions will not receive them.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yeah, moving a large moray is not an easy task, nor is adding an adult to a new tank. Not many place will take on such a challenge, even if you try to give the eel away.
I personally wouldn't get an animal you can't house for life.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Strophidon sathete is also the longest...up to 4 meters. Not the fattest, but definitely the longest. Still, prob to big for captivity.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I personally wouldn't get an animal you can't house for life.
This.

And be ready to keep it solo. More than half of my tanks are single apartments.

10 out of 16, to be exact....

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for all the advice guys. Unfortunately a good chunk of the saltwater setups around here are only 18inches deep. If I get an eel that maxes out at 36", would this be sufficient for life? I think that the answer is no, but someone said rule of thumb is i want a tank as long ad the eel is long, and half as wide as its long, just trying to feel out if I need the 2 foot wide footprint pretty bad or not.

Thanks again for all your help, I'm in the process of looking for salt setups in used classifieds.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ya I'm the 1 that said that. An 18" deep tank is fine for 1 that maxes at 3' as long as the tank is as long or longer than the eel but that's just for a single eel. You would need bigger if you go with more than 1 eel.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store