What's the biggest moray and what's the minimum tank to house 1 for life?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay that makes my decision easy if i want to get one for the time being and upgrade as my interest grows. In terms of eels that max out at 3 feet, i know zoo diver mentioned a few, anyone have any to add? And is the girth substantial on an eel that maxes out at 3 feet? That is really what draws me to them, the nice fat round shape. I'll still aim for 2 feet cuz I'd prefer a bigger eel, just limited here in london Ontario, but there seem to be a lot of 90 gals around.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Honestly the fimbriated moray is my favorite out of the smaller eels. Mine was super aggressive, would kill anything no matter how big it was, so it was solo in my 55 till I sold it around 1-1/2'. Dragons are way cool too but the price tag on them pulled me away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay I'll look them up for sure. The allure to me is just seeing a head poking out of a rock, and then swimming into another hole and watching the whole body disappear. Would you happen to know how long it would take a tessy to outgrow a 4x2x2? My girlfriend loves that one, and if I'm gonna dump a bunch into this creature she better be happy lol. If it's 2+ years I'll be happy to save up to upgrade by then, but as long as the beast is comfortable. Again only want the one eel, and i understand i can regulate it's growth a bit, i simply have no idea how big the average baby becomes available to the hobbyist.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I don't see baby tessy's often at all in my area. May be different where you are. The smallest I've seen was about 2ft but average size I see are about 4ft. They're very thick eels as well compared to others. I did see a 6" 1 for sale on live aquaria a while ago though so they do pop up occasionally.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
A tessy grows quickly, far motre so if you feed it abundantly ( i feed mine 1 or 2 times a week ).

I would go Fimbriated. Check Gymnothorax Miliaris and Mileagris, also.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
What about a funebris LOL. I heard some crazy stories about them. Any concrete answer as to minimum tank size?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For green morays, think BIG. Plan on a 5 ft (or bigger) eel that is as thick as your thigh and will eat anything it can get in it's mouth.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
A tessy grows quickly, far motre so if you feed it abundantly ( i feed mine 1 or 2 times a week ).

I would go Fimbriated. Check Gymnothorax Miliaris and Mileagris, also.
I'm curious to know what size tank you have yours in? You and others agree that they need to be in house size aquariums. You all so agree that they are hard to re-sell and move tanks, why do you have one then? And really no fish live it's full life and lives up to there full potential in home aquariums.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You can ask the same question about why people keep arapaimas when a very small percentage of people can actually house them for life. Tessy's are massive and but do not require a house size aquarium. A 500 is the minimum for a single full adult but if a person keeps up in wc's, they'll have success with more. They are hard to resell because people like buying small ones and growing them out. Also not very many people have a large enough aquarium to keep 1 that has outgrown a previous owners tank or they realize how aggressive a tessy is and do not want to risk losing their previous fish to keep 1. You say fish do not live their full life expectancies in aquariums but many of them actually live longer than they would in the wild. Most won't reach the full size potential becuz of lack of an adequate variety of food they would naturally find in the wild or becuz the size of the tank their in drastically slows their growth and inhibits how big they can grow. Nobody wants to buy an angelfish just to feed to their eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store