What's the biggest moray and what's the minimum tank to house 1 for life?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I'm curious to know what size tank you have yours in? You and others agree that they need to be in house size aquariums. You all so agree that they are hard to re-sell and move tanks, why do you have one then? And really no fish live it's full life and lives up to there full potential in home aquariums.
Many people on this forum have tank volumes large enough to keep fairly large animals - like 5-6 ft morays.
Many fish live as long or longer under human care. We have many examples of that on the forum.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Many people on this forum have tank volumes large enough to keep fairly large animals - like 5-6 ft morays.
Many fish live as long or longer under human care. We have many examples of that on the forum.

This.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I agree with 1st hand experience. I recently read a post and article form a mod in the charcin forum stating that African pikes live on an average in the wild 3 years - mines over 4 years old and eats like a champ. I recently lost a Caribe piranha to old age he was 11 years old.

Technology and shared knowledge have definitely made this possible, things have come along way since my 1st slate bottom 180 gal. With that being said there is a point where good husbandry ends and cruelty begins. I suppose it's up to each individual to determine how far they are willing to go to properly care for the species they choose to house. I can see it much easier to house large bottom dwelling stationary species like eels in more confided environments than say large open water fish like a tuna.

Aggressive By Nature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Boynton Beach, FL
WARNING! If you put other fish in with the Tessy, be prepared lose all of them. I ha a Tessy before I got my 500, and he ate everything. I bought him at 1 1/2 ft, and grew him to 3ft. He bit a lined puffer in half, 2 lookdowns in half, a snowflake in half, ate many angels, and tangs and other fish and ate a jumbo lionfish's insides out, he gutted him! Basically, he ate over $500 in fish and his only friend was my Whitespotted Bamboo who was 2ft and is now 3 1/2 ft. Just make sure that he is alone!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the post. I want a single large eel in my tank. That's it. Nothing more. Maybe I'll play the patient game get a nice 6x2x2 and try my luck at a tessy, if i just can't let her go I'll have to upgrade lol

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
My Tessy lives very peaceably with a Cleaner Wrasse.

On the opposite, I had to separate the Zebra Moray before it became lunch.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store