What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
I had an Oscar with 2 bluegills. I heard some knocking around in the tank one night and walked down stairs to find one of the bluegills almost dead floating on the surface with a ripped gill plate which was bleeding profusely, a tail which was totally gone, most of the scales gone, and missing an eyeball. :eek:
I put him out of his misery moments later.

Funny though cause the Oscar seems to love the other Bluegill. He's been a tank mate with him for almost 2 years now. :)

Reactions: Hendre

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
likestofish;4252497; said:
I accidentally stepped on a danio that jumped. Also had a black moor get its eyes popped off and eaten.
Yeah, those eyes are begging to get abused. I fed one to my RBPs years ago and the things head got guillotine chomped so that his face was a clean cross-section with just the back quarter of his eyes and a weird tube (esophogus?) in middle that looked like it was breathing/talking. Thing was missing the first half-inch or more of his original length. It lived like that for many hours. RBPs are cruel.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
OMG. This thread will give me nightmares.

The worst I can think of happened to my angelfish fry. The mesh over the HOB intake was clogged. I had rinsed in for many weeks and it was getting worse and worse with time, so that it had become useless and permanently clogged no matter what I did. I looked at the angels and I looked at the intake holes and thought, "Hmm, I suppose if one really tried, it could get through, but it seems safe enough." I stood and watched for a minute and all was well. And an hour later, I came back to 20 angelfish stuck helplessly to an aquaclear sponge, all dead but whole. Looked like suffocation. So sad, they were pretty and healthy, too.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
BlackShark11k;4252485; said:
Swim bladder disorder does nasty, nasty things.
I second this one . . . it did a number on one of my convicts, and also on a blue acara . . . I euthanized the convict, but I tried every idea I could think of to help the acara, and he died anyway

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I guess I should mention all the bettas I've had. Gruesome, painful ends, always. Virtually every betta I've ever owned has died of sudden onset dropsy. No other fish fall ill when in a community, just the betta. I no longer purchase bettas because I've learned the hard way. I don't know what's more gruesome than having your tissues swell until death sets in. I euthanize right away now, but the first few I tried to save. So I guess those first few bettas had it the worst, dying slowly in medicated water. *sigh* They're among my favorite fish, too, and there's little I don't know about them.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
oh, forgot the other gruesome death I watched, which was my oscar after he ate a pictus catfish . . . he ate one once before, but spit it out, so I figured he'd learned his lesson . . . but sure enough, he ate the other, swallowed it, and then died slowly from internal injuries

he lived for about two days . . . the main thing I took from that was I should have euthanized him as soon as I realized what was happening, but there's always that thought that he might pull thru . . .

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Ouch. Death by catfish. Not as rare as it ought to be for Oscars!

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
knifegill;4253150; said:
Virtually every betta I've ever owned has died of sudden onset dropsy. No other fish fall ill when in a community, just the betta. I no longer purchase bettas because I've learned the hard way.
I had this problem with betta too, and it sucks . . . the last betta I had, however, died very peacefully last month, after about 3 years of happy living . . .

I think the key is limited feeding: he got 3-4 pellets of Atison's betta food, 2x/day during the week . . . no food on weekends or holidays . . . never any sign of dropsy, just a normal healthy fish

but watching a betta die of dropsy is very sad indeed . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store