What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
You can either use probiotics, let it stand soak for a few days, or a chemical such as hydrogen peroxide, both are used to clean up congealed blood and other bodily fluids following crime or accidents scenes

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all! I've had an 80ltr (got it from my little sister) sitting in my yard for a few weeks now and I'm to scared to clean it... Seriously, its atrocious, my hubby was choking and gaging when he was emptying it out to swap over - and his stomach is usually pretty strong... Well guess who got stuck with the task of cleaning it out? You guessed it, me.

For those who don't know this tank got a water change maybe once every 4-5 months if it was lucky and was home to four decent sized goldfish for 3-5 years..

Normally I use a bleach and vinegar solution of one part bleach and nine parts vinegar, followed by numerous rinses and prime soakings but I'm wondering if anyone has a better way? This thing is gross and I don't feel like my 'usual' will cut it this time without a LOT of scrubbing...

I already have a various assortment of toothbrushes, scrubbing brushes, sponges and microfiber cloths to use, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for cleaning a disgustingly filthy tank?

Thanks in advance. :)
Please do not mix bleach in vinegar as chlorine gas is a result in the chemical equation.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
This is the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum. Please never ever use this recipe for cleaning again. It is legitimately the recipe for toxic chlorine gas! First used as a weapon in WWI I really wouldn't recommend using it against a dirty fish tank.

I have found a long soak in water with vinegar and a razor blade to be the most effective. You can scrub all day but you won't get everything you could get with one or two passes of a sharp blade.
Didn't read the whole thread before I posted the same thing, +1 never do this mix you are poisoning yourself. As for cleaning the tank with a pressure washer not to many I have seen gave pressure adjustors rather then a different angle nozzle. The lower the angle the more concentrated the water. Bigger angle creates a fan. Use the largest angle you can and go a few inches away from the glass it will not crack or scratch. You can wipe HCl all over the tank first (commonly found in toilet bowl cleaner as a 9% concentrated solution), add that to the walls let sit for 20 then pressure wash really well, should come out very clean. After that rinse the tank with water to remove any leftover residue

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Perhaps you could get hold of a military surplus gas mask. When you're finished with the tank, you can use it when you're chopping onions

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Perhaps you could get hold of a military surplus gas mask. When you're finished with the tank, you can use it when you're chopping onions
LOL

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
i never use bleach or vinegar. i use bar keepers friend and let it sit for a
minute then scrub or use a razor for hard build up & rinse very thoroughly.
always makes the tank look like new. same for acrylic but use a soft scrub
and dont use razors. also ill polish with novus after im done cleaning acrylic
tanks unless its scratched then ill clean it, sand, buff & polish.

make me some steak dinner with some beers and ill come clean it for you LOL!

your best friend in cleaning tanks.
are you insane? Cleansers leave a residue that slowly gets absorbed through fish and amphibians skin and gills and every other mucous membrane. You're never supposed to clean fishtankks with anything except Bleach, Alcohol or Vinegar. HOW are your fish even still ALIVE?????!!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!??

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
This is the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum. Please never ever use this recipe for cleaning again. It is legitimately the recipe for toxic chlorine gas! First used as a weapon in WWI I really wouldn't recommend using it against a dirty fish tank.

I have found a long soak in water with vinegar and a razor blade to be the most effective. You can scrub all day but you won't get everything you could get with one or two passes of a sharp blade.
and I also agree with this, Bleach iis NEVER supposed to mixed with ANYTHING - when you use bleach on your fish tanks it is supposed to be 10% Bleach and 90% WATER. Bleach mixes with anything else and and as said, Mustard gas - It can very much kill you

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
are you insane? Cleansers leave a residue that slowly gets absorbed through fish and amphibians skin and gills and every other mucous membrane. You're never supposed to clean fishtankks with anything except Bleach, Alcohol or Vinegar. HOW are your fish even still ALIVE?????!!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!??
people in the hobby have been using it for years and years... long as you
properly clean and rinse out theres no issue. plus i power spray it down
after cleaning to make sure everything is out. relax... i wouldnt use it
if it was going to kill my live stock. ive never had a loss b/c of it.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
and I also agree with this, Bleach iis NEVER supposed to mixed with ANYTHING - when you use bleach on your fish tanks it is supposed to be 10% Bleach and 90% WATER. Bleach mixes with anything else and and as said, Mustard gas - It can very much kill you
lol dude you get so hyper over cleaners being used haha.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store