What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
people in the hobby have been using it for years and years... long as you
properly clean and rinse out theres no issue. plus i power spray it down
after cleaning to make sure everything is out. relax... i wouldnt use it
if it was going to kill my live stock. ive never had a loss b/c of it.
lol dude you get so hyper over cleaners being used haha.
cleansers and solvents are dangerous to animals. Rinse it for days if you want, it still leaves a residue

duanes duanes Oddball Oddball dan518 dan518 Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk RD. RD. Chicxulub Chicxulub Charney Charney

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
are you insane? Cleansers leave a residue that slowly gets absorbed through fish and amphibians skin and gills and every other mucous membrane. You're never supposed to clean fishtankks with anything except Bleach, Alcohol or Vinegar. HOW are your fish even still ALIVE?????!!!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!??
Oh not this argument again lol, here's know it all

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
people in the hobby have been using it for years and years... long as you
properly clean and rinse out theres no issue. plus i power spray it down
after cleaning to make sure everything is out. relax... i wouldnt use it
if it was going to kill my live stock. ive never had a loss b/c of it.
Don't bother man I tried the argument before with a soap container and he lost it lol I'm with you on this you can use pretty much anything as long as it's rinsed away well, doesn't deteriorate silicone and is chemically inert with glass

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
cleansers and solvents are dangerous to animals. Rinse it for days if you want, it still leaves a residue
Hello; this has been my take for decades. I have never used soaps or solvents in a tank so do not have any personal experience. The stuff may rinse out with enough water, but I have never felt the need as there are other things to use.
One thing I have used many times is a salt paste. One all the gravel and other abrasive bits are cleaned out of a tank a paste is made using table salt. The salt paste can be used to scrub the glass and has never scratched the glass. ( make sure there in not any grit or sand left in the tank as this will scratch) I have always used non-iodized table salt but forum members have stated it does not matter.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
I second the Bar Keepers friend. Simple, inexpensive, safe on the glass, and easy to rinse completely from the tank. I've brought plenty of old, retired tanks back to life with it and a non-scratch sponge :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My take on that is if I can clean MY counters with it and WASH the residue off, theres absolutely nothing preventing me from doing that with a tank. Sorry but cleaners aren't permanent...you just have to be diligent in your cleaning procedures. One member already said he's used the stuff for years with no ill effects on the fish, that right there should be testament enough.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I use pure 100% bleach on my Purigen media then I just rinse and soak in RO water for few days then re use it, my fish has no problems whatsoever!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I second the Bar Keepers friend
I've brought plenty of old, retired tanks back to life with it and a non-scratch sponge :)
One member already said he's used the stuff for years with no ill effects on the fish, that right there should be testament enough.
Hello; It is a good practice to take the advice of others with actual experience. This is good information to have. I have not used Bar Keepers friend and have been reluctant to try such things. Now if I can manage to remember.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store