When should i start training?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Just add some pellets with the food she will readily eat and she will start to eat them.

My current wild Motoro female 5-6" disc only eats frozen. She doesn't like pellets yet. I actually prefer fish meat(whole fish) as a staple over pellets.

Good luck with the new acquisition.
I have some leftover swai that's got some freezer burn... I may cut it up and stick some pellets int the cubes...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
i went to doublecheck on my ray tonight.. and i dont think i should go by the tail's size or disk size... i feel like i can see the ray's ribs... so im gonna stop feeding it frozen blood worms and trying to pellet train it and get some frozen krill.. it seriously needs more fat content...

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
i went to doublecheck on my ray tonight.. and i dont think i should go by the tail's size or disk size... i feel like i can see the ray's ribs... so im gonna stop feeding it frozen blood worms and trying to pellet train it and get some frozen krill.. it seriously needs more fat content...
Tilapia and earthworms are going to put the most weight on the fastest. If you can see it's ribs it's probably not eating the blood worms. and will defiantly not accept pellets in my experience. your walking a fine line. If your ray doesn't put weight on and start bulging from food it will die. You shohold be able to see a big ol jaylo booty after feedings.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Tilapia and earthworms are going to put the most weight on the fastest. If you can see it's ribs it's probably not eating the blood worms. and will defiantly not accept pellets in my experience. your walking a fine line. If your ray doesn't put weight on and start bulging from food it will die. You shohold be able to see a big ol jaylo booty after feedings.

Ive had this ray 2 days. It ate black worms and live ghost shrimp at its leisure. I've never really payed attention to its ribs till now. Definitely buying some frozen shrimp tomorow morning and it does eat frozen blood worms...just I don't think it's a good food source.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Put the temp up a notch to boost its metabolism. I alternate shrimp, smelt, and worms. One of the three eats tilapia, sure I can get em all on it if I wanted to. Within 60 seconds all food is gone, each time. Reason I hate pellets is the content of them seems to create a good chunk more algea as they dont seem to digest all the way, also increasing nitrates. Mind you this experience was with bass and not rays, but my guess is the same goes, few left over that get soft and messy dont do well in water. Just personal preference though, think we all have our "superstitions". Your ray should punce on food like it hasnt been fed in years, if it is eating leisurely I'd say something is bugging it a bit, could be normal stress from a new home as you seem to be taking the right steps. If I were you, if you really don't want to put her in the 300 right off the bat, I would remove any left over food so it gets used to "feeding time", and when its not feeding time it will burrow for food, not finding any will make it that much more prone to pounce on it when you do drop some in.

Cheers.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Put the temp up a notch to boost its metabolism. I alternate shrimp, smelt, and worms. One of the three eats tilapia, sure I can get em all on it if I wanted to. Within 60 seconds all food is gone, each time. Reason I hate pellets is the content of them seems to create a good chunk more algea as they dont seem to digest all the way, also increasing nitrates. Mind you this experience was with bass and not rays, but my guess is the same goes, few left over that get soft and messy dont do well in water. Just personal preference though, think we all have our "superstitions". Your ray should punce on food like it hasnt been fed in years, if it is eating leisurely I'd say something is bugging it a bit, could be normal stress from a new home as you seem to be taking the right steps. If I were you, if you really don't want to put her in the 300 right off the bat, I would remove any left over food so it gets used to "feeding time", and when its not feeding time it will burrow for food, not finding any will make it that much more prone to pounce on it when you do drop some in.

Cheers.
If that is true then I may have a problem. Though my ray may r just grazing.. I look at the ray often to see how it's doing. It's active trying to jump out of the tank often. Every now and then it'll hover over some burrowed black worms. I have a shallow level of sand to prevent gas pockets. I did a 50% water change this morning. I didn't do a water test... I threw in a few frozen krill from San fran bay..didn't touch them..yet. I also bought some red wriggler. I'll throw those in maybe tonight if she didn't eat any krill... I think she isn't used to eating anything not alive yet..

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Careful leaving food in a 40 gal, I'd remove. Maybe it's a super stressed, are your lights on? Maybe leave em off. Maybe it doesn't like the big water change, could possibly need time to get used to the water, chlorine even temporarily till you remove it could piss him off. Chances are he's fine and just adjusting, but is be careful paying too much attention, maybe he needs a bit of time alone. Never know, maybe just a slow eater by nature, going up and down the glass is normal if that's what you mean by trying to jump out. Double check if your tank is fully cycled, and as soon as he is eating regularly and your satisfied with your quarantine, get him into the 300.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
im doing a fish less cycle for the 300 gallon with partial seeding... i think im stalling.. at a point... my nitrites arent lowering... and i will try to keep myself from looking at her. =_= she just swims so majestically i get too caught up lol. i left the tank light off and the room light on. i wont be back home for another 12 hours. so hopefully by the time i get back the shrimp will be gone. if not i'll remove it and change the water a little bit again.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
All new Rays I've brought in will not touch krill. I use raw market shrimp. Try chopping those red wigglers into 1" pieces and all lights out.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
All new Rays I've brought in will not touch krill. I use raw market shrimp. Try chopping those red wigglers into 1" pieces and all lights out.

Is there much of a difference in smell and taste between market shrimp and krill? I have frozen shrimp as well, i'll peel some and cut it up if it doesnt east. I'll cut up a worm and put it in there tonight.. my water temperature says 79... that maybe a reason as well... i know they need 83-85... i guess i will change that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store