Why all the hate for Chinese knockoff filters?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Well...here's my story....I bought a JBJ Reaction Stage 4 canister filter with a built-in UV. It's basically the same design as the SunSun (which I believe is now AquaTop). Not a very well known brand (not that I know of) and it's been working fine for many years. I had to replace a couple of parts a couple of years ago, but that was after a couple of years running. I also have had experience with an Eheim Ecco 2236 and many of their Jager Heaters. All I can say is Eheim is one of the worst I've had even though there are countless of members that swear by their products. I've had 3 heaters that have all over heated and I've replaced the Impeller on my Ecco 3 times compared to any of my other canister filters (3 Fluvals, 1 JBJ, and 1 xP3) which I might've replaced on one of the Fluvals once and the xP3 once.

So as far as I'm concern, Eheim is not worth their price tag and other products that are out there are better.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know this. But I didn't have my stands with me.
Beside the point but a car jack should not lower on it's own and the stands probably aren't any safer.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Well...here's my story....I bought a JBJ Reaction Stage 4 canister filter with a built-in UV. It's basically the same design as the SunSun (which I believe is now AquaTop). Not a very well known brand (not that I know of) and it's been working fine for many years. I had to replace a couple of parts a couple of years ago, but that was after a couple of years running. I also have had experience with an Eheim Ecco 2236 and many of their Jager Heaters. All I can say is Eheim is one of the worst I've had even though there are countless of members that swear by their products. I've had 3 heaters that have all over heated and I've replaced the Impeller on my Ecco 3 times compared to any of my other canister filters (3 Fluvals, 1 JBJ, and 1 xP3) which I might've replaced on one of the Fluvals once and the xP3 once.

So as far as I'm concern, Eheim is not worth their price tag and other products that are out there are better.
My jager heaters are trash. Thermostats are way off on them. I'll have it set to like 82* and it'll maybe get 76* before it turns off.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Nearly all the HOB filters that I've owned have been knockoffs(even right now on my 75). I remember back in the day that came without a lid.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You can't really blame the Chinese for flooding the market with cheap junk. You can't blame the chinese for making bad tools when greedy American corporations outsourced their production overseas and closed the doors on their plants in the states. I'm not trying to get too political here. If an American company made a quality aquarium product that was made in the states or Canada I'd buy it. But I can't see giving Rolf C. Hagen corporation a huge pile of my money for a product that is indeed made in China same as sunsun. These name brands wont cut their profit margins to a reasonable retail price and they overcharge for the same stuff they've been selling for the last 25 years... so you can't tell me that money is going to R&D or marketing.

It costs less than $20 for apple to make an iphone 5 in china.. so you cant tell me $300 is justified for an fx6 when oddysea sells a knockoff that runs $45

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^That post is chock full of good points.

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Love my CFS odyssea 500 and 700 filters. Just bought another 500 for $42 delivered. That's hard to beat.

I have also has to replace some parts but they are easy to get and cheap.

Love the flow rate and simplicity of the filters!

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Figures. Just be careful. My jack failed on me when I had it supporting my car. Good thing I wasn't underneath it. Sorry OP for the derail

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nah its cool, I had a friend die a year ago from a car falling on him due to a faulty jack.

For months after that, I was on pins and needles everytime I went under my car. I felt this Sensation like I was some india jones character and the car was about to fall on me as I narrowly escsped it on my creeper when I slid out. Not cool.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
Just to add to this, I have 5 sun sun/greech 304 B's in current use and 1 FX5. My oldest 304 B is almost 6 yrs old running 24/7. Run 2 per tank plus a sump and alternate cleaning one and change UV every six months. The only other maintenance is I replaced the impeller on the oldest one the other day for $18. Bottom line for me is they work, and "if" there was a American made filter I would buy it and use it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store