Why can't tigers be bred ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In fact it's a bad thing we see so many for sale as it shows the impact it's having
I find it very sad we see so many for sale
Out of the thousands we see buying on this forum alone I wonder how many make it to adult size.
Agreed,I've mentioned before how the little indos seem to flood the stores up and down the east coast and probably the west as well at certain times..It can't be good for the species if they are wild caught.

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
Agreed,I've mentioned before how the little indos seem to flood the stores up and down the east coast and probably the west as well at certain times..It can't be good for the species if they are wild caught.
However if Datnoids were fish farmed and those farmed Datnoids were stocked to help restore and allow wild populations to recover that would be progress. Then those aquaculturists could focus on providing Datnoids for the tropical fish industry and that would create a situation were there would be less collecting pressures on wild populations.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes and surely none of that is new to the authorities and farmers in the areas where these fish are found...I'm just surprised that there is not more of an effort put forth,as far as I know,these fish,the ST in particular, is like a treasure of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
Yes and surely none of that is new to the authorities and farmers in the areas where these fish are found...I'm just surprised that there is not more of an effort put forth,as far as I know,these fish,the ST in particular, is like a treasure of the country.

May I suggest Monster Fish Keepers encourage that kind of program to start in Datnoid home waters. MFK is a huge world community it would be making good action of this forums say. It certainly sounds as though ST Datnoids would prosper from that kind of aquaculture program.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Guys, can we really speak for all the fish farms of se asia right now? How can we be 100% sure that there is nobody breeding ITs or what have you? The way hormones are used in most fish farms id be very surprised if there wasnt at least one group doing it, or close to doing it

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No we can't which was why I said "as far as I know" in my post.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Let's face it if ST was Being captive bred and came onto the market at the same price they was 10 years ago it would be IT that was more rare in shops as most people not all but most would buy a ST over a IT due to the stable ness

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Let's face it if ST was Being captive bred and came onto the market at the same price they was 10 years ago it would be IT that was more rare in shops as most people not all but most would buy a ST over a IT due to the stable ness

Agreed. I'm not even sure I would give IT any consideration unless I was trying to collect examples of each species.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
don't we breed most fish by putting hormones in whatever there are housing them in? Why can't we do that with datniods

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store