Why can't tigers be bred ?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
don't we breed most fish by putting hormones in whatever there are housing them in? Why can't we do that with datniods
I think you will find this has been tried with know luck

From what I have read in the past they can get them to lay eggs but can't get them to hatch

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Let's face it if ST was Being captive bred and came onto the market at the same price they was 10 years ago it would be IT that was more rare in shops as most people not all but most would buy a ST over a IT due to the stable ness

I remember in those days when I ordered dats from the only place I could find them (Cali, USA), 99% of demand was for ST. There were no dats to be found in stores here on the east coast in wholesalers or retailers. Average prices were about $60 for 5inch ST and around $40 for 5inch IT. On 1 occasion I ordered 2 ST and 1 IT (my first IT, never seen 1 before at that point,lol) and a year later ST SUDDENLY gone for gd. Obviously kicked myself for not just buying 3 ST.lol..Soon enough from this point, IT hit the market hard and was available in LFS's...If successful breeding of ST ever got on a mass scale, prices might get better for us, but prob not like the gd days. Restocking the Mekong hopefully would be a priority

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I keep hearing of this king of Thailand who has imposed the ban of ST being exported.I would hope that restocking is part if his thinking.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Hopefully the king will negotiate with us someday Krich!...Anybody hear of any efforts to breed any other dat species? Any info on current wild stock populations on these?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I remember in those days when I ordered dats from the only place I could find them (Cali, USA), 99% of demand was for ST. There were no dats to be found in stores here on the east coast in wholesalers or retailers. Average prices were about $60 for 5inch ST and around $40 for 5inch IT. On 1 occasion I ordered 2 ST and 1 IT (my first IT, never seen 1 before at that point,lol) and a year later ST SUDDENLY gone for gd. Obviously kicked myself for not just buying 3 ST.lol..Soon enough from this point, IT hit the market hard and was available in LFS's...If successful breeding of ST ever got on a mass scale, prices might get better for us, but prob not like the gd days. Restocking the Mekong hopefully would be a priority
I don't think restocking will have any impact in my lifetime

If they do captive breed and start putting back what we have taken it will take 20 years to see them back for sale

Also we stand a chance of spreading dat decease which I have seen a lot of in long term captive ST

Let's face it if the guys in thialand can't breed them in the exact same water conditions what chance do we have in a tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There is already a ban on exporting whatever is left in the waters,as I understand,so if they were to restock the river those fish would not be legally available anyhow...which would be okay by me as I just want the fish to be saved from extinction.It wouldn't bother me at this point if they were kept out of the hobby but then we'd be back at the original problem of overfishing for food and poaching for the black market pet trade...T1,those other points you raised are quite formidable.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just sad we as humans did this to the ST

We have done it to a few fish

Asian Arowana and ST to name a few

I'm unsure why ST haven't been placed on the cities list then if they are ever captive bred like Asian aro they could be micro chipped to show they wasn't being taken from the wild

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
There is already a ban on exporting whatever is left in the waters,as I understand,so if they were to restock the river those fish would not be legally available anyhow...which would be okay by me as I just want the fish to be saved from extinction.It wouldn't bother me at this point if they were kept out of the hobby but then we'd be back at the original problem of overfishing for food and poaching for the black market pet trade...T1,those other points you raised are quite formidable.
I think that ban was in place a year or 2 before to try and preserve what was left at the time but fishing carried on

skyliner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Indonesia
My friend said all of IT's are wild-caught. Only 1 inch IT can be caught, bigger than that have to be released. Last week he got 10,000 small IT's and all were sold. My prediction in couple of years, IT will be rare because there is no time for them to regenerate and nobody can breed them. Even right now, IT's are rare in my country. Right now, there are few IT's in LFS, I think about 10-15, after they don't have stocks for almost a year.

So guys, buy a lot of IT's and keep them, don't sell them because I believe they will be rare someday. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store