Why Do People Only Keep 1 Type Of Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Because catfish are the spikiest, crankiest and generally longest-lived/hardy group of fish. They can occupy every niche of a tank, diurnal, top, middle, you name it. And why waste potential catfish space with other fish?
Catfish are probably MY favorite to! But that is not all I keep!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
if i had the room i would keep every single type of tank with every single type of fish possible. but since my absment is limited i prefer larger sa/ca cichlids, but i have been dabbing into bichirs lately which is quite fun. also love plecos

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I keep all kinds of fish, from ca/sa , African,bichirs ,gar, if I like it I'll keep it.lol, I have 7 tanks ranging from 210g down to a 10g fry tank. I like all fish. Funny thing is I can't eat them, the taste makes me gag. Eventually I plan to have some peacock bas and some rays, but I gotta move first there illegal here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jryegolds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
USA
I keep piranhas because they make water changes and tank maintenance exciting. Also watching them tear meat apart is awesome. I also have a small planted community tank.

I would keep more types of fish but I don't have the room for it and apparently piranhas don't always get along with tank mates.

Fighter Fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Fergus, Ontario
I have been into them all and now I mix them together. You first need to learn how to keep each type of fish before you can safely mix. Currently I have a flower ray, mahseers, geos, flagtails and a green terror in one tank. In another tank I have a wolf cichlid and a bunch of bichirs. And my third tank has more bichirs, 2 jags and some convicts. Most of the cichlids are small, and all the bichirs are over 7-8". Its possible to mix and its very enjoyable but it can be risky because they do randomly eat each other. But I do agree with the arguments on why people keep each type cause I did that and it is easier.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was once at the point of only keeping vicious predatory fish just to stop me from buying more fish but somewhere along the way I ended up buying more tanks to house more fish so that strategy flew out the window.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
i currently have 8 piranha set ups..... piranhas are my fav bc they come in dif colors and species much like cichlids.... and to me their razor sharp teeth and aggressiveness is what keeps me on edge. ever watch a shoal of pygos devour meat?....check it out and youd be hooked too lol

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I keep one type of fish because I don't have the resource, funds, or time to keep ALL types of fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store