Why Do People Only Keep 1 Type Of Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep strictly goldfish. Keeping more than one type of fish taxes my brain too much. I like things ordered and neat and well done. Jack of all trades and master of none... have you heard that before? I prefer to be a master of one. :)

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I agree I like to only have about 5 fish. When I kept africans and had like 18 fish it drove me nuts tryna learn all of their needs.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I was once at the point of only keeping vicious predatory fish just to stop me from buying more fish but somewhere along the way I ended up buying more tanks to house more fish so that strategy flew out the window.
krich-0, subconscious-1
you tricked yourself into getting more tanks, nice.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I keep all types of fish but my favorites are SA/CA cichlids, I love the personality and the activity. So that is the main fish I keep and is my "specialty". I didn't realize it was a craze though. Africans bore me and stress me out with all that constant chasing. I have a gold fish tank they are pretty and kind of funny to watch. I also love a really nice big community tank tetras and barbs and such. But I can't have them because my Fire mouths keep having babies and I have no more room for tanks.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I like a mix! Like a large tank with, an arowana, oscars, gar, geophagus, bichirs, datnoid, a clown knife, tinfoil barbs, ID shark and more. THAT is an entertaining tank! I used to be into super rare wild caught hard to find species but honestly, unless they look drastically different then cheaper ones, nobody but you and other keepers will even know/notice! And fish like oscars are AWESOME! People say that "everyone has an oscar" and make fun of them but guess what, the reason WHY they are so popular is because they are cool fish! If they were bad fish to keep why would people buy them!?! :D just my opinion. Anybody feel the same?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Because you can't have just one... I am an oddball junky and I know I have an obsession... but I'm stearing away from the giants as having to take-down our big set-up has been heart breaking. Bigger the fish the more expensive to house... before kids we had a lot of fish of different species.. now we're down-sizing to a few select fish between my hubby and I and a lot of its based offa ease of care and requirements not just how much we adore it. Our kids are def worth it, but it still stinks. we're down to a 40B community in our living room w/ a knife as my "secret oddball" amid the guppies and tetras our daughter loves, our aba aba in the basmenet who will need at least one more upgrade before all is said and done. and Monday we have a Carapo coming in for our 75 who will graduate to the aba's tank once he upgrades. the rest of our fishys are going to a new home =(
This article is pretty cool, but what I want to show you is at the bottom of the article is a part called "Aquarium Operates by fish power" and the clock at the entrance has been powered by an aba for twenty years. Maybe you can power an heater or something with your aba. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4842

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
This article is pretty cool, but what I want to show you is at the bottom of the article is a part called "Aquarium Operates by fish power" and the clock at the entrance has been powered by an aba for twenty years. Maybe you can power an heater or something with your aba. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4842
COOL article. before the part you pointed out, there was this:
by the 1980s, experts at Aquarium Nancy in France had all their computers run by the electric discharge of Gnathonemus petersii — the elephantnoses I had supplied to them.

also, author's experience with the "Mystery of the flashing water" was super awesome.
:-]

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
COOL article. before the part you pointed out, there was this:
by the 1980s, experts at Aquarium Nancy in France had all their computers run by the electric discharge of Gnathonemus petersii — the elephantnoses I had supplied to them.

also, author's experience with the "Mystery of the flashing water" was super awesome.
:-]
She didn't have any elephant noses, so I didn't think to mention it. But it is still pretty awesome. It validates getting a whole new tank for them ;).
The flashing lights was awesome too. I wonder if they will do that in aquaria.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
The flashing lights was awesome too. I wonder if they will do that in aquaria.
some were spawning that night.
Coming anything close to replicating conditions would undoubtedly require super-human efforts and a full moon.

That's a reminder about the limitations on keep different kinds of fish. for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store