Why is the ban on Asian Arowanas still up?!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
asian aros will be legal in the US, maybe after like 10,000 years..
You say something as unproductive and ridiculous as that as your third post? Not a good start, friend.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Synopsis of the situation: wild populations are in danger. The amount of people who want to keep them is very small and will never be enough to elicit government change. Of the people who want to keep them/would keep them the amount who SHOULD keep them and would do so properly is an even smaller %. The point is it wont be changing soon and nor should it in my opinion.

The pressure put on the remaining wild population and the likely decline in quality and standards of the current farms in response to an increased demand would probably the ruin of the species, all so a very very few people could keep these wonderful fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A government sponsored breading program,something along the lines of what is done in the United States where certain fish are bred and released in the wild when they get a certain size.The private farms already have the know how and a few of them could be paid to carry out this task and fishing for theses Arowana would have to be guarded against by forest rangers or a similar entity.
I don't care if the Arowana never become available to American hobbyists but it would be unfortunate if they are wiped out,especially if they could have been saved.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Synopsis of the situation: wild populations are in danger. The amount of people who want to keep them is very small and will never be enough to elicit government change. Of the people who want to keep them/would keep them the amount who SHOULD keep them and would do so properly is an even smaller %. The point is it wont be changing soon and nor should it in my opinion.

The pressure put on the remaining wild population and the likely decline in quality and standards of the current farms in response to an increased demand would probably the ruin of the species, all so a very very few people could keep these wonderful fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This doesn't make much sense

On one hand you say the demand is to low to have the ban lifted

On the other hand you say if it is lifted the demand will put great strain on the farms

Which is it high or low demand

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
What would be the best idead to help increase the population of wild asian arowanas?
To increase wild population the farms would need to start over breeding from new wild stock as most if not all captive bred aro have been crossed at some point

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I would say because legalize Asian Aro don't get them enough vote for their parties.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Will it help the wild population if the ban on asian arowanas will be lifted right away?
I say no because smugglers then would be free to catch and sell them to suppliers to ship to the U.S...They'd have a bit of a cash cow and they would catch and sell as much as they could with no regard for the conservation of the species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store