Why is the ban on Asian Arowanas still up?!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Why do you say that?...Not every hobbyist in America that are aware of these fish would be willing to spend the big bucks that the colored varieties demand but quite a few of them wouldn't mind buying the much cheaper wild caught Arowana.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
If they were legalized here that would open the door for a breeder to come here. The prices would be reduced because they would not have to be shipped over seas, and this would make it hard for it to be worth the time of a black market seller that would have to get them shipped over seas.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I think what should happen is a South East Asian government should start a breeding farm to replenish the wild population. USA gov. and the S.E.A. gov shout come to an agreement where they can sell asian arowanas here and the profits would go to fund the reestablishment of the wild population.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If they were legalized here that would open the door for a breeder to come here. The prices would be reduced because they would not have to be shipped over seas, and this would make it hard for it to be worth the time of a black market seller that would have to get them shipped over seas.
They are not being bred in any of the countries where are legal so I don't see that happening here.Apparently breeding them is no easy task.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I really have to give it to the U.S. for making them illegal. It's nice to see regulatory bodies acting responsibly. So I say keep them illegal! USA USA USA!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I think it could end up like chinchillas. They are critically endangered but because of captive breeding anyone can buy a chinchilla.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
This doesn't make much sense

On one hand you say the demand is to low to have the ban lifted

On the other hand you say if it is lifted the demand will put great strain on the farms

Which is it high or low demand

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You truly can't work that out?

its about relative amounts. There are a ton of people in the us, relative to this amount of people very few care.
There are NOT alot of these fish in the wild or in farms RELATIVE to the amount of people that would want them.

Then go ahead and consider the vast majority would likely suffer the same fate as most silvers and live a short life in a inappropriate tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
Synopsis of the situation: wild populations are in danger. The amount of people who want to keep them is very small and will never be enough to elicit government change. Of the people who want to keep them/would keep them the amount who SHOULD keep them and would do so properly is an even smaller %. The point is it wont be changing soon and nor should it in my opinion.

The pressure put on the remaining wild population and the likely decline in quality and standards of the current farms in response to an increased demand would probably the ruin of the species, all so a very very few people could keep these wonderful fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
A government sponsored breading program,something along the lines of what is done in the United States where certain fish are bred and released in the wild when they get a certain size.The private farms already have the know how and a few of them could be paid to carry out this task and fishing for theses Arowana would have to be guarded against by forest rangers or a similar entity.
I don't care if the Arowana never become available to American hobbyists but it would be unfortunate if they are wiped out,especially if they could have been saved.
All the species of Asian Arowana's should not be seen legalized in the USA if they are not protected in there native habitat. There are many endangered species that are in the aquarium hobby that are lost in there native habitat. However that is a tragedy that should not be. The way the water ways ecosystems in Sumatra and Borneo are being converted from swampland to other purpose land that is prime habitat for Asian Arowana's is a tragedy happening in front of all our eyes. If some of these Southeast Asian countries that say they are committed to conserving Arowana waterways and can't or won't take care of there important and prized waterways I do not want to endorse watching them sell me farm raised Arowana's in the USA. This species should exist in their native habitat first and in my aquarium room second. It is a privilege to keep these Arowana's in captivity, they must be conserved in their wild habitat.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store