Wife put me on a budget :(

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
I can understand were the op wife is.. If money is tight putting you on a budget is good. Or if the wife is trying to pay ahead but cant cause you charged 500 on a credit card for something that was not needed. then yes you need a budget.. but I am on a budget cause i bought a house last oct. and work now decided to cut hours down a little till mid october when the hrs will pick back up.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Valous;4252941; said:
I can understand were the op wife is.. If money is tight putting you on a budget is good. Or if the wife is trying to pay ahead but cant cause you charged 500 on a credit card for something that was not needed. then yes you need a budget.. but I am on a budget cause i bought a house last oct. and work now decided to cut hours down a little till mid october when the hrs will pick back up.

Sorry to hear that :(

robr0924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magnolia
bob965;4247320; said:
This reminds me of the time my ex-wife told me I couldn't drink beer anymore because we needed to save money and it wasn't in our budget. Then a few days later, I caught her spending $60 on makeup, and I confronted her about it. She said, "Well honey, I need the makeup so I can look pretty for you." I said, "What the hell do you think the beer was for?!?!"
I laughed so hard my wife heard me. $60 would only cover my feeder budget. Lose the wife, just kidding

HexHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark
kevinfleming21;4247269; said:
So the wife proposes a "allowance" of $60 a month for fish related spending, WTF!!!! Does anyone think this is a fair number? Or should I protest this and ask for a new proposal?
Surely depends on how much you contribute to the total flow of household cash, and how much scraps are left. However it sounds like a meager budget.

bob965;4247320; said:
This reminds me of the time my ex-wife told me I couldn't drink beer anymore because we needed to save money and it wasn't in our budget. Then a few days later, I caught her spending $60 on makeup, and I confronted her about it. She said, "Well honey, I need the makeup so I can look pretty for you." I said, "What the hell do you think the beer was for?!?!"
:D excelent answer my friend!

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
60 bucks a month sounds a little low to me-does she have any hobbies? if so, what does she spend per month on things that arent necessity or for the household? i guess the hubby and i dont have a budget for spending on hobbies-but we also dont have kids, and if we are going to spend a higher amount of money we run it by eachother..

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Wow. Interesting comments. Without knowing what your financial situation and fish tank situation is I dont have an opinion on if 60 is a "fair" amount or not. whats going on that your wife has to put you on a budget? If youre eating top ramen and have holes in your shoes and you cant see your new fish because the lights are out in the house, yeah that might be a problem.
As for all the comments about "laying down the law" and getting rid of her - marriage is supposed to be a partnership. Im not going to treat my wife like I treat Marines. I can tell them what I want with no room for negotiation. If their unhappy, oh well. The woman you live with - whole different story.
Oh, and $500 a month??? Some of you folks must be making big bucks!!

Nyvar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2009
Alexandria, VA
All of your money should be budgeted, your being the household's. Uncontrolables first, like rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, etc. and controlables, food, clothing (broken down by person), eating out, presents, movies, everything. It should also include for you and her discretionary money for each of you to spend, save, do with as you please w/o question. Yours would include money for your fish, might also include vodka money, but it's yours to do with as you wish. Just make sure if you come in under for something you control directly, as $30 a week for lunch at work, and you spend $5 for the week, it goes to your discretionary balance. Or, better yet, get it in cash, and keep the change.

Dayvydp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
CTEX
I'd say show your wife who wears the pants in the marriage
and put your foot down ;)

I'd say 60 a month may be decent, but I think it's a bit low. But if your wife is concerned with saving money, then i'd say stick with it. Who knows maybe after a while your monthly fish allowance will increase. But if not on fish, where else would your disposable income go to?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store