Wooo, scored a nice 30 gallon full setup last night

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Thanks, and yep finally got the camera back.

I'll be getting more anubias, and java ferns at the beginning of next month when I get my next disability payment. But the alder cones should be here today, I'll add 2-3 of them to the tank along with 2 of the almond leaves to start changing the water into blackwater!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So over the weekend another aquarist friend needed a diffuser for his new tank, so I traded him the extra nano glass co2 diffuser I had, 2 indian almond leaves, and some alder cones for 10 Red Cherry Shrimp. It was a mixture of adults, and juvies, but one of the female adults is berried with lots of eggs and he said she should start dropping within a few days!!! But I now have all of my plants in this tank, along with 4 Neon Tetras, and the 10 Red Cherry Shrimp!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I'm back!!!!!!

So I tore this down, and have been working on my 45 gallon tank... But I tore it down because the back wood of the stand has started failing causing the tank to lean back, so I'll be doing some work to the stand to reinforce it, and make it level. My plan is to set it back up as a low tech tank with the following...

Lighting - 2 x 36" Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5NO (2x 6500k bulbs, 2x colormax bulbs)

Heating - 200w Eheim Jager submersible heater

Filtration - SunSun Hw-302 canister filter

Substrate - 3" Mineralized Topsoil capped w/ 1/2" of pool filter sand

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So tomorrow I'll be ordering a Ryobi combo kit with cordless drill, and circular saw; Decided that instead of using a hacksaw to cut the 2x4's to fix the stand that I'll just invest in the kit. Will definitely make it a whole lot easier, and faster to reinforce the stand and level the stand. I'll for sure take some pictures of the work as I go along!!! I'm thinking it'll take around a month before I set this tank back up since it'll take 3 weeks to fully mineralize the topsoil for this tank, and next month I'll be ordering the light, and glass canopy top for the tank.

I plan to take it slow with this set up because I really want it to come out looking good, and make sure I have everything I need for this tank before I get started on my 45 gallon long tank.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So here's an update... Tomorrow I've got a couple things coming in, expecting the KAL Dolomite powder, an order of 12 dwarf water lettuce, and some 4dkh solution for drop checkers. I'm expecting the Ryobi combo kit to come Tuesday so I can get started on the stand Wednesday!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Well everything I ordered has come in, I finished up the work on the stand last night and the tank is now sitting on the stand waiting to be set up!!!! I started working on mineralizing the topsoil last weekend, and now I'm on the 2nd round of drying the first portion of dirt with 2 more to go. Tomorrow I'll be making sure the tank sits about a 1/2" higher on the left side because of where it's sitting in my room the floor has always sat about a 1/2" lower where the left side of the tank sits for some reason lol. The apartment complex I live in was built in the 1960's which means cement floors, and has always kind of gone a 1/2" difference from the window area to the inside of my room...

I ordered 5 cajun crayfish earlier this week, and they came in yesterday, and they're currently in my 45 gallon tank but will be moved into this tank once it's ready and cycled. All that's left is to order the 36" Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5NO 2X21w Aquarium Lighting fixture w/ a 6500k bulb, and a colormax bulb.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So I'm thinking of going with a 36" AquaticLife Marquis T5HO Dual Lamp w/ Timer using 6000k bulb and a Ultra Growth Wave bulb instead of the Coralife T5NO fixture, and it'll be plenty of light for the tank. I'm currently mineralizing the first portion of topsoil for this tank, and thought it would take a long time with the soaking then drying 4 times for each portion of topsoil, but to be honest it's quick and easy to dry inside my apartment using two 75w reptile heat emitter bulbs. It's cut down the drying to just 2 days, which means I'll be setting this tank up sooner then I was expecting!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So everything I planned for my tanks is on permanent hold because my Durango is having problems, so everything is put on hold until I can get Durango running right. During the meantime I'll keep mineralizing the topsoil, and getting everything ready for this tank just to keep on track.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store