would a stingray be a nice addition?

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
the stingray profile thread at the top of this forum says that i would need a bigger tank footprint for a motoro. it suggests a Spotted River Ray? but would a motor still work out? it says that the adult footprint for the tank should be 96x48, but my tank would only be 96x36

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Marbled Motorro would be nice...

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
worst case you upgrade or sell the ray in a few years... and get another... i would worry about that when the time comes..

BDaddy1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Colorado
Stingrays are really cool and quite easy to care for as long as you do some research on the species that you plan to keep, the only thing that you need to keep an eye on is your water quality, but other than that they are pretty easy to care for. Good luck!!

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
its said that the smaller rays are harder to take care of. but if i got a motoro i wouldnt want to get rid of it. itd be almost and accomplishment and i can guarantee id be attached to it. what im asking is if that i would have to or not? or should i go for a leopoldi or something in that range? may be harder to take care of, but i want something i dont have to misplace because it got big, not my intentions.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Ok, you could keep one histrix in that size tank for life, but dude it is so hard to find a true histrix and not some Unknown species or cross! You would have to know your stuff to purchase one of these, allsorts of rays get sold under histrix. I believe they get to a max 26" disc size. This is the only ray I believe you could house for life in that tank considering your other stock.

The most common? Motoro's and Leopoldi's. Both absolutely stunning species. Either way man, your gonna need an upgrade eventually. 3 Silver arrows, 1 Stingray, A clown Knife fish and a Tig ain't gonna be happy in an 8x3x2 once adult and starting to max out.

I think the 3 arrows and a stingray would be OK, but nothing more in that size tank.

As for harder species etc, Dude your obviously doing something right with the stock you've got! If you go for the harder species ie flower rays histrix just research research and research and make sure your acclimication is slow, steady and gentle and you will be fine! The only thing limiting us in the fish world is space, and our minds ;)

Nic - I don't think you should be reccomending that keepers buy something on the sole purpose to sell or give it away when it gets to big, especially to then 'go get another one' and give it away when that gets big. How irresponsible. You can't provide for the animal on a WHOLE - don't get it. Simple as. Just my personal opinion though.

Nitro fish you will get attached to your ray, they have wonderful characters and I'm sure if you get one you won't ever look back.

Good Luck and Keep us updated !!

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
wow thanks for the reply. that was quite in depth. i love the looks of the motoro and the leopoldi's though. but ive also read that keeping teacup rays is difficult. that thread suggested the spotted river ray for a tank of my size as the adult footprint of the tank.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
and in regards to being a bit overstocked when reaching adult size..... i really dont mind bumping down to only having one silver arowana. thinking that maybe itd be a better idea to start with one than three..... plus that would leave open options for tankmates, which probably would not change from my new blueprint for tankmates. itd prolly stay clown knife, tigrinus, ray if possible, then the one silver aro. if that would change my ability to keep a ray or not?

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
i should probably be more specific with what species im talking about, that thread has the same name for two kinds.

Potamotrygon sp. "Itaituba" - P14

Common Names: Polka-Dot River Stingray

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store