would a stingray be a nice addition?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
lets see leopoldi gonna be about 1500 if you can find true p14 then im gonna say a min of a 2k price tag and it would really be up to the seller as to how high cause you cant find them.... leopoldi get as big as motoro... true hystrix come from argentina so good luck finding a importer and who is to say they still stay small...if you want a brazilian "hystrix" there is really only one person breeding in the states now... find a real nice healthy retic stingray should be fine in your tank for life... down fall is your tig wich would be a more aggressive feeder than a retic... why i recommended motoro... ill say 5 years for it in your tank at wich point you can A upgrade or B sell it or trade it to a breeder and raise some more... but thats if you dont wanna upgrade but then again all i ever do is flame people so what do i know....

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
well the tank i was going to use to a ray along with my arowana and other tankmates is already upgraded from what i was originally planning on keeping. is the retic ray you are referring to Potamotrygon orbignyi? the tigrinus catfish is actually very docile surprisingly, most of them ive seen either cruise the tank between very long intervals or just lie on the bottom. i watched a setup of a tigrinus and a ray work out well, they just were in different spots of the tank.

p.s. what size tank would i have to upgrade to to get a motoro? it sounds like some of the rays you listed are super pricey compared to fish. the motoro's listed on here are only about 150 dollars.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
id be willing to go with some retics in that tank, provided that they wont be eaten?

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
so far my stock looks like this to accomodate the ray(s).

1 silver aro
1 clown knifefish
1 tigrinus cat
?#? ray

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Well Nic, who stays a species is gonna stay a certain size? Well the many people who have kept them throughout adult hood. And just like you do with the Leopoldi v Motoro size.

Histrixs are not often known to exceed 26" though I'm not saying there are no exceptions, of course there will be, but the general max is 26".

Don't really know why your questioning me on why I think a species will be that size the species are known for; when you have just told us leopoldi's get as big as Motoro's..:screwy:

Double standards that is my friend..
I wasn't reccomending a Leopoldi by any means unless he was going to up grade, if you bother actually reading, and in regards to the price, they are pretty common at the moment in the UK and no where near $2000, we are talking low hundreds (pounds) here. So sorry if I seemed misguided, I was reffering to my Location :)

Nitro Fish..with a small ray that setup could work (1 clown knife, 1 tig, 1 arrow and small ray). Not familiar with the common name Polka dot river ray shall have a look for you.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
As for buying to grow it up until its too big for your tank, then sell it and buy another one until it grows to big for the tank then sell that one et cetera.. I still disagree with you Nic.
1) I don't see the point
2) He will most probably (as he said himself) get attached to it..and I'm sure not want to rehome it or at least find it very differcult to do.
3) We all know Moving stingrays (or ANY fish for that matter) causing stress on them. More so with rays that most other freshwater fish. Why intentionally put a ray through that just because you want to be selfish and keep a fish only to sell it when its too big? It's not really fair is it?

I will say again, these are just my personal opinions and my own morals, I wouldn't want to put an animal through deliberate (extra) stress, just because I want to be selfish, not trying to force my opinions on anyone, just voicing them :)

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
as far as that name goes, its on the stingray profiles thread under the stingray forum, its a sticky.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149245

and as the rays i was referring to, its the profile on the very bottom of the first page.

Itaituba - P14

both this ray and the retic's look nice.

jessica, in regards to stocking of these rays, the Itaituba maximum adult size is a bit larger than that of the retic. so would you say in the overall stocking scheme 2 itaituba or 3 retic's would be a good stocking of them?

ive read in many places, that despite being smaller rays, that the retic can be classified as a good ray for beginners, as it is just as hardy as a motoro.

i should have any problems with my tankmates should i? ive read that rays are slow growers, but i dont think that the tankmates should have trouble with them, however the rays will probably be the first ones to go in the tank so the aclimation process can go easily without shutting out the lights on all the other fish. next would probably be the silver arowana, til it gets to about a foot or foot and a half (shouldnt give any trouble to them, so ive read), and then the catfish and the clown knife. the clown knifefish is a very fast grower, and ive seen many catfish hit the one foot mark then their growth will slow down, ive also seen a setup with a few different species of rays similar to size as the motoro co-exist with a tigrinus, along with some gars and an arowana.

i think that having a few of the smaller rays would give the tank even more swimming action than having two slightly larger rays. inputs?

thanks a million

nitro

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
i thought about the hystrix variety, as they are about the same size as the others, but weaned them out of my options due to the fact of you saying that they were a bit hard to come by, and ive seen vendors on here with the more common types of ray.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Unless money is no object, I would stick with a motoro. They don't grow that fast, and you will have plenty of time to upgrade in the future. Retics are a bit less hardy and leos and Itaitubas (P14) are going to cost you an arm and a leg here in the states. If you've never owned rays, start with juvie motoros. It would be better to lose a few hundred dollars worth of fish than a few thousand (if something were to go tragically wrong).

For what it's worth, Nic knows what he's talking about IMO. He is a good source of knowledge on this forum. Take information in from all sources and make your decisions based on what information best suits your situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store