You can save the world right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Is it not disturbing that the best solution to this problem, as seen by you guys, is a way to stop overpopulation with mass death? I'm not saying that's exactly what any of you said, well not in a serious tone anyway, but the general idea I'm getting is there's too many people and we need to be stopped.
What if there is another way? A way we can have our cake and eat it?
That's the point of this all, I want people to think about not only what the eat, and maybe if there's a better option, but also what they do in there lives and how it effects the world around you.
And as the whole "we're only here for a short time, no need to worry, just enjoy yourselves" mentality goes, I'm vegan so that I can not only enjoy what little time I do have, but also so I can hope that my actions help me enjoy the world a little bit more.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't have all the answers, but I want to give it a shot, and if it fails, or according to predator as he is a psychic and is better at predicting the future than me, when it fails I can say I tried.
I'm not better or psychic, what I am is observant and history does not lie about how our species deals with problems. Corruption and war...there is no denying that. You are just to hopeful on a dying race for repentance, to "see the light", and just get along? I'm sorry I'm not a pessimist by any means but I will state the obvious facts when it comes to the way humans handle themselves haha.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
there is a simple fact that people don't understand. The human race is a massively huge multiplying virus. There are simply to many people on this planet. The only way for us to save this planet is for us to lower our population and start cleaning up the mess. I know that sounds realllllllly bad, but it's the ugly truth.
Hello; As l already posted in this thread, I came to this conclusion back in the 1970's. It seems unlikely that very many people will champion the notion of population reduction. Forty years of contrary evidence in my case. Not only has my decision to remain childless not been copied by many, there has been a negative reaction from most. I have been accused of being ate up with the DA, among other things. Do not expect much in the way of appreciation of your point of view.

I have read or heard about the idea of us being a "human virus" before.
I this necessarily true though? Population control the answer? If I am not mistaken, aren't Chinese countries looking at issues of underpopulation do to the one-child policy?

To implement this would be a massive undertaking in regulation that is in a constant state of fluctuation based on resources and economic activity. I believe it would help, but it alone doesn't seem to be the answer.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Is it not disturbing that the best solution to this problem, as seen by you guys, is a way to stop overpopulation with mass death? I'm not saying that's exactly what any of you said, well not in a serious tone anyway, but the general idea I'm getting is there's too many people and we need to be stopped.
What if there is another way? A way we can have our cake and eat it?
That's the point of this all, I want people to think about not only what the eat, and maybe if there's a better option, but also what they do in there lives and how it effects the world around you.
And as the whole "we're only here for a short time, no need to worry, just enjoy yourselves" mentality goes, I'm vegan so that I can not only enjoy what little time I do have, but also so I can hope that my actions help me enjoy the world a little bit more.
Hello; I am 68 years old and have a longer view of the issues than some. I also did undergraduate and graduate studies in biology and ecology. I taught the sciences for over 30 years and nearly always included environmental units. I kept up with the stuff as a teacher and as an interest.
I generally phrase the population issue in these terms. If we do not reduce/control our population then natural processes and consequences will do the job. Mass death being a possible and somewhat likely way things play out. Look up terms like critical resource, tipping point, carrying capacity, exponential growth, hockey stick and others that deal with population studies.
I noted in a post of this particular thread a comment like this. These issues will have to be dealt with by our great grandchildren. That the problems can be real is often acknowledged by many with the qualifier that it will happen someday. Unfortunately from my long term view the "someday" is already here for many and has been for some time. I imagine you can think of some serious issues we face.
For those who feel or hope there is still time to do something significant, I do hope you are correct. I no longer think so and have not for a while. I hope I am mistaken but fear I am not. I think we have past the point for easy fixes. Some negative impacts might still be modified to a small degree, but the consequences will have to endured.
Much more can be written but I will close now.
I this necessarily true though? Population control the answer? If I am not mistaken, aren't Chinese countries looking at issues of underpopulation do to the one-child policy?

To implement this would be a massive undertaking in regulation that is in a constant state of fluctuation based on resources and economic activity. I believe it would help, but it alone doesn't seem to be the answer.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Sorry for the odd post . I seem to be having some sort of issues the last few times I have posted.

Let me address Pharaoh's recent post. I am not aware of such an issue in China. I do believe that some countries are having issues with the demographics of their population. By that I think it means that the birth rate may have dropped below past levels. I do not think this actually means that the overall population is no longer increasing.

An example is in the USA. A chart of the population based on age groups would have bulge indicating higher numbers of older "baby boomers" like me and a narrowing of the chart for people in their twenties and thirties. The social implications being that there are fewer young folks to support a large older population. I suspect this may be what you are refering to about China.
There has been a trend to lower birth rates in some countries. Some of this trend seems to be associated with education levels.

In some underdeveloped countries the birth rate is high. A population chart may show a bulge of population of young and a narrowing population of older people.

I have seen these charts and will try to find an online source for a link.

Even in countries like the USA where the birth rate has dropped among some groups, other groups and immigration is continuing to swell the total population numbers.

I will add the same link her as I did before about world numbers.

http://www.worldometers.info/

Of interest may be the numbers for net population growth and the numbers that die from hunger.

It has been my understanding for a while that the "green revolution" was one of the single most significant causes for world human population increases. As far I know there has not a year without an increase in the overall human population in a ver y long time.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house

i'm not talking about population control, even though I think you should be limited to 2 children. I'm talking about population reduction.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Your post sums up some of the reasons I no longer feel there is much chance for us to avoid serious and ongoing problems with regard to the impacts of a large human population. The information has been out for a long time and not many have chosen voluntary limiting of the number of children they have. This pretty much leaves some sort of regulation and the enforcement such would require. The Chinese tried it and had lots of problems with acceptance and enforcement. I cannot picture such regulations happening in a country like the USA.

As far as a reduction in the overall population being an ultimate solution, that does not seem likely. I do happen to think some of the worst issues could have been mitigated had we kept the world population at levels of some decades ago. I fear it is too late to avoid most of the population related issues we face. While it does not seem likely that enough people will accept the need to change, there may still be hope for limiting the impacts a bit. Outside of being childless, I have tried to live a lower impact lifestyle. I backslide from time to time when I feel real hope is truly lost. While I think I would have enjoyed having children, at this point I take comfort in that I do not have to worry about them.

For those with young children or grandchildren who are of late beginning to think about what is going on, I apologize if my comments are troubling.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
i'm not talking about population control, even though I think you should be limited to 2 children. I'm talking about population reduction.
I already suggested eating the vegans to weak to run from a lack of animal proteins in their diets...but nooooo no one listens.

Reactions: milkman407
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store